Sunday, May 12, 2013

CLOSED- Teeba Cafe- A fusion of Texas and Mediterranean cuisine

Restaurant: Teeba Cafe
1330 Wirt Rd Houston, Texas 77055
Date of Visit: 5/11/13


UPDATE 5/16/15: This place is now closed

Background
Salam/hello everyone! Today I will be reviewing another recently opened restaurant: Teeba Cafe. Teeba Cafe was opened a few weeks ago replacing Blue Planet Cafe. I had read reviews of this restaurant from other visitors and they were mainly positive. I was on my way to IKEA to do something for my mom and I got really hungry. I was craving for something with meat (carnivore and proud). However, most of the restaurants were 15 miles away on Hillcroft Avenue. Thankfully with the help of zabihah.com, I found out that the restaurant existed a few miles on IKEA. Even better, it was on the way back to my house! After finishing the work, I drove for the restaurant.


Let The Experience Begin!
Teeba Cafe is located in a strip mall on the intersection of Wirt and Westview in Spring Branch. Entering the restaurant, it felt like a house in a strip mall. There were sofas surrounding a Tv, like a living room. There was an area for little kids on the other side of the restaurant, and there were the tables in the middle. On the counter, I was greeted by a friendly lady and then proceeded to order.


Let's Eat
One glance of the menu later, I ordered the beef brisket. I think this is the first restaurant that actually has halal brisket, which is a popular food item here in Texas. To drink, I had the usual can of Pepsi. For a price of $9.70 (tax included), I was impressed. One problem I must point out was that the brisket was not ready, as the beef had to be prepared. It is important to have everything prepared before the restaurant opens just in case a customer asks for a specific item. If that specific item is not ready, and has a long waiting time, then the customer will not be happy and would walk out of the restaurant. However, the time to prepare the beef was 6 minutes, but it was compensated by a cooking time of 11 minutes to make the waiting time a total of 17 minutes. So full marks on waiting time!


Menu: No menu pics, but it can be viewed here --> Teeba cafe menu



IMAG0089.jpg
Beef Brisket + Pepsi


The Verdict:
Well judging from looks, it is more like a vegetarian sandwich than a beef brisket sandwich. There were only three pieces of brisket with BBQ sauce on the bottom of the sandwich. A solution to this is that there could be more meat added to the sandwich for a balance. There are many places that have equally large amounts of brisket and vegetables.
Tastewise, I had no problems. The vegetables were fresh and the bread was deliciously crispy. I took a piece of beef out from the bottom and ate a bite of it. The meat was very tender and the BBQ sauce was perfectly spiced. In short, a great meal despite the irregularity in the content of the sandwich. The food was washed down with a nice, fresh can of Pepsi.

Conclusion:
Teeba cafe is still developing, but it has done well. I will be coming back here one day to eat. The taste won me over the content of the food. In a restaurant, taste is king. I just hope that they will develop more, be consistent in their food, and hopefully attract more customers.


Grading:
Service: 9.5/10 (Unpreparedness cost 0.5 point)
Food: 8/10 (Irregularities exist but great taste)
Waiting time: 10/10 (17 minutes)
Overall: 27.5/30 = 91.6% (A)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$

Restaurant Information:
Teeba Cafe
1330 Wirt Rd Houston, Texas 77055
Phone: (713) 681-9800
Website: None
Timings: Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 10:30 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM; Closed Sun
Caters: No

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment