Saturday, September 14, 2013

House of Kabob- Cheap, convenient, and interesting

Restaurant- House of Kabob

6433 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77057
Buffet or A-La-Carte? A-La-Carte
Date of Visit: 9/14/13

(All photo credits: My HTC One Phone)
Entrance

UPDATE 12/29/15:
I came to this place and tried the shawarma a few weeks ago. It was better than Shawarma King, but not as good as either Adam's or Zamani. I would still recommend every kabab except the beef one if you were to eat here.

Background:
Salam/Hello guys and welcome to my latest review! Today I will be reviewing House of Kabob, near the intersection of Westheimer and Hillcroft. I had a busy day at UH today as I was meeting up with friends to finish up my homework for my engineering class after my chemistry lab.  I, however, had time to kill before I met them. So I decided to go here to House of Kabob. It has been nearly 4 years since I last went here, which was during a family outing. Nothing really much has changed. I do not remember how the food tasted back then, and this blog didn't even exist. All I know is that it is a popular place for singles to hang out during the day, but it is populated with families during the night time. So after battling traffic on US 59 and Hillcroft Avenue, I arrived at the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
The restaurant was busy with customers and there was only one man behind the counter. He was the one taking the orders and then cooking the food. There were condiments lined up, so you could have a peek of how your food is prepared. There are fresh chicken and beef shawarmas waiting to be cut off from the revolving open cooker. And there are bags of khubs (Arab bread) waiting to be heated up and eaten by the customers. There was college football playing on the big TV and there were people having a nice chat while eating their food. One thing I will caution you about: The parking. The parking lot is very narrow, so I would advise you to be careful while parking in front of the restaurant. As I was coming in, the lot was literally blocked by people that were trying to get out. Interestingly the menu was on the wall. So I studied the menu and decided what to order.


Let's Eat!
I ordered the combination kabab, which was chicken, beef, and kafta kabab in one dish. It came with rice and a choice of sides. I only took the yogurt sauce as my side. They gave a plate of garlic sauce and chili and some khubs. To drink I took a bottle of Pepsi. I also took an extra khubs and garlic sauce after finishing the meal. The waiting time was very brief: 12 minutes and 2 seconds and I ended up paying around $12.32 (tax included). For a mixed/combo grill, that is a very good price. The way you get your food is different. First you order, eat and then pay. Then when getting the food, you are called up from your table to get the food that is waiting. Couldn't they have a number system like M&M Grill does??? Or couldn't the cashier come out of the kitchen and serve the food? It would be more organized and people would be alert on when their food is ready. For me, it took a couple of calls from the cashier to realize that the food was waiting for me. Definitely not good.


Menu: 



The Menu




The meal spread




The Combination kabob





The garlic sauce and chili sauce




The Khubs

The Verdict:
The food was really tasty! The chicken and kafta were excellent. They had a lot of flavor and were marinated perfectly. Not too much, nor too little spices. The beef, however, was dry. Parts of the bottom were overcooked and there was no taste in it. The rice was decent, but the yogurrt sauce and garlic sauce were really tasty. The khubs was very fresh. One thing that I didn't like was that when I went to get the extra khubs and garlic sauce, the person doing it literally threw everything on the plate. He did it with force. He then gave me a grin for some reason...... What did I do wrong??? All I did was come in and eat :P What's the big deal if I want something more? Never in my life have I seen someone throw food in that rude manner. All was washed down with a Pepsi.



Conclusion:
If you live around the Galleria/Westheimer area, House of Kabob would be your best bet. Get anything but the beef, and you will be fine. And watch out for the rude guy behind the counter. You don't wanna mess with him. I hope that next time I visit, the people behind the counter would be nicer and not grin if I want anything extra.


Grading:
Service: 6/10 (rude when I asked for more)
Food: 8/10 (liked everything but the beef)
Waiting Time: 10/10 (12 minutes and 2 seconds)
Overall: 24/30 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$


Restaurant Information:
House of Kabob

6433 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77057
Phone: (713) 781-5226
Website: None
Facebook: None
Timings--> Mon-Thu & Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM; Fri: 2:30 PM - 11 PM; Sun: 11 AM - 10 PM
Caters: No

Feel Free to Comment Below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

2 comments:

  1. For some reason none of the pictures are showing up? Good review though, will try to check the place out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the problem on the mobile site. The desktop site is working perfectly with all the pictures showing up.

      Delete