Sunday, January 5, 2014

Jones Fried Chicken- Another NY Style restaurant Deep in the Heart of Texas

Restaurant: Jones Fried Chicken
6633 Fondren Road, Houston, Texas 77036
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 1/4/14


Outside. Photo Credit: Me

UPDATE 1/31/16
The quality has plummeted significantly since my first ever visit. After the last trip I made last summer, I decided that I give up going to this place. Gyro King is honestly so much better. Rating wise, it's now a 4/10

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Hope you guys are having a great new year so far! Today I will be bringing you the first review of 2014! This place is Jones Fried Chicken. I did a contest on my instagram account (follow me @ thehalalreviewer) where the people would choose where I should go for the first review of the year. The people's word said that I should go here. I got the chance when I went to the monthly coffee and cars event. Basically in that event where people come and check out exotic cars. There were cars from Ferraris and Lamborghinis to '65 Mustangs and a 1936 Rolls Royce. I had a great time at the event. After the event was over, and I said goodbye to my friends, I made the drive from Tomball just to eat here, as promised after the vote.



Let The Experience Begin!
Jones Fried Chicken is located a few blocks after the intersection of Bellaire Boulevard and Fondren road. Next to it is a Whataburger. When you go inside, the menu is right in front of you! Quite interesting really. The seating table was very big, so big that there was an upstairs sitting area! There was a non-functioning TV sitting idly in the middle of the seating area. The kitchen is right to your left once you enter the restaurant. You could actually see them cook the food, just like they do at the Halal Guys in Manhattan. After reading the menu, I walked over and decided to make the order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the regular size chicken over rice platter. If I was not on a tight budget, I would have taken the mixed chicken and rice combo. The platter was the typical New York street food, with the chicken and the mysterious white sauce on top of the rice and the vegetables. To drink I took a bottle of water. Altogether, I paid $7.03 (tax included). The waiting time was only 2 minutes and 50 seconds. While waiting for the food, I watched them make it. The way you get the food is similar to M&M Grill. You are assigned a number, and once that number is called, your food is ready.



Menu: http://www.halaljones.com/menu.html
Basically the menu is the same as BZ Grill, which closed down last summer. The prices are wonderful, with the majority of items less than $10 unless you are dining with your family. The mixed platter is there, but you would have to ask them what the combo should contain. You can also request them to make it spicy, as they would add the mysterious red sauce to the platter. One thing that annoyed me was that canned drinks (Coke product cans) were much cheaper than water. What I suggest is that both prices should be the same. After all, water is healthier than soda right?



Chicken over rice platter


The inside



The Verdict:
What a wonderful start to the year! The food was spot on! Now I know this is nothing compared to the Halal Guys in Manhattan, but this is my first time eating New York street food! This gives me a really good first impression on how the platters taste like. Everything tasted very well and fresh. The rice was also really delicious. I heard so much about how amazing the white sauce is. Guess what? Those people are absolutely correct! It is evident by the above picture, where most of the white sauce has already been eaten up! This wonderful platter was washed down with a nice glass of water. Overall, two thumbs up for the food.
The service was nothing to praise about, or to even criticize. I got my food, and I sat down and gobbled it all up.



Conclusion:
If you feel like eating New York style halal food, and cannot make it to Manhattan to try the Halal Guys, then this place is perfect for you. It gives the perfect prelude to the epic platter that is offered in New York. This is also great for group outings or going by yourself because the prices are cheap. Once I get more money, I'll come back and try their other platters.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 10/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Total: 28/30 = 96.7% (A)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Jones Fried Chicken
6633 Fondren Road, Houston, Texas 77036
Phone: (713) 772-7799
Website: http://www.halaljones.com/
Facebook: they have it, but it hasn't been updated in nearly 2 years
Timings: Mon-Sat: 10 AM - 12 AM; Sun: 10 AM - 9 PM
Caters: Yes
Drive thru available

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment