Wednesday, April 9, 2014

NOT HALAL: VERTS Kebap- A Taste of Street Food Deep in the Heart of Texas

Restaurant: VERTS Kebap
VERTS Kebap
107 Yale Street, Houston, Texas 77007
Date of visit: 4/9/14



Photo Credit: http://vertskebap.com/images/verts_template/Home/Slideshow/panel-1.jpg

UPDATE: 3/3/15: All locations are now no longer halal

UPDATE: 2/16/15: Starting March 1st, they will be no longer serving halal meat. I got an email confirming from them. This is a huge loss for the halal food scene at UH. They do have falafels though. I will be giving away my free doner kebap coupons tomorrow at UH. For now, I will have to stick to Dogarz Doner and wait for Crisp Doner to open up.

UPDATE 10/6/14: Chicken is now halal

Background: 
Salam/hey guys! Today I am reviewing a new restaurant that had its first day of business today! This restaurant is called VERTS Kebap. VERTS Kebap is an Austin based gyro chain. It has over 10 locations throughout Austin and has been a huge success. This is the first location outside Austin. This restaurant focuses on a Turkish delicacy, the doner kebap, served the same way that is served in Germany. Believe it or not, doner kebap is the most popular street food in Germany. The city in Germany that is regarded to have the best doner kebap is Berlin, the capital city. I, however, have never been to Germany, but the doner kebap is very popular in Istanbul. I actually tried the doner kebap in Istanbul, and it was one of the best things that I have ever eaten. The way the doner kebap is prepared actually differs between both cities. While the doner kebap in Istanbul is packed exactly like the Shawarma, the doner kebap in Berlin is wrapped like the picture above. I found out about the opening when I was surfing through the Internet and then an ad of my Facebook showed up about the opening of the Houston location. I was actually craving for something because there was Wolffest, where students from the entrepreneurship program at the University of Houston showcase their food. Nothing was halal and the food trucks were gone for the day. As soon as I found out, I went to the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
VERTS Kebap is located on Yale St. at the strip mall where Walmart is located. The easiest way to go is by exiting Yale St. on I-10. If you try to go from Heights Blvd or Washington Blvd, good luck. I took that way and I had to take a few circles. The inside resembles Subway, but with a much nicer setting. The revolving thing that the doner kebap is made was there. To be sure, I asked whether they use the same halal meat that they use in Austin, and they said yes. After that, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I went with the traditional kebap. The way you order is a lot like Subway. You choose between the traditional doner kebap, a normal wrap, and a salad. Then you choose the meat, and you choose the vegetables and the dressing. I went all traditional. I chose the doner kebap, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers along with the house sauce which is commonly used in making it. All of this for a grand total of $8.61 (tax included). Everything was made fresh from the revolver. The way they cut the meat is exactly like how they do it in Istanbul.



Well it's a lot like Subway. Do note that the chicken is not halal, as it isn't in the Austin location. But it is cooked separately.


The Doner Kebap



The Verdict:
To be simple and short, the taste of the gyro reminded me of the doner kebap I had in Istanbul. Yes, it was that good. The meat was very flavorful, and all the vegetables were fresh. The house sauce was awesome, and I always care about the taste of the sauce as it is one of the most important things in a doner kebap. The food was washed down with a nice glass of water. Overall, two thumbs up.
The service was awesome too! They assured me that they use the same halal meat that is used in their Austin locations. The people very very friendly and were really excited about it opening up in Houston. 



Conclusion:
VERTS Kebap is like Turkish Subway but halal. You get an option of the type of food you want, the meat, and the toppings. The only difference is that this is much better than Subway. I really hope that the Houston location would be as good as the Austin locations. What I also like is that this is the cheapest Turkish restaurant in Houston. I will definitely come back here whenever I feel like eating some good food. If you have been to the location in Austin, then I would suggest you try this place out.




Grading: 
Service: 9/10
Food: 10/10
Waiting time: N/A as this is like Subway
Overall: 19/20 = 95% (A)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
VERTS Kebap
107 Yale Street, Houston, Texas 77007
Phone: will add later
Website: http://vertskebap.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vertskebap
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vertskebap
Timings: Will post later
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment