Thursday, May 8, 2014

RELOCATED: Khan BBQ & Grill- Not a Good Place for Biryani

Restaurant: Khan BBQ & Grill
16618 Clay Road, Houston, Texas 77084
Buffet or a-la-carte: neither
Date of visit: 4/22/14

UPDATE 1/31/16: I have had their karahi, pulao chappli kabab, and naan. Hands down the chappli kabab and naan were actually great items! The pulao is was good, but not as good as the two previously mentioned items. The karahi was very disappointing however. Overall, food grade goes up from 3.5/10 to 4.5/10

========================================================================

UPDATE 8/10/15: They have been open for a while.

========================================================================

UPDATE 2/5/14:
They are opening up next to the shell gas station on West Little York near Kahla Middle School. The date of opening has not been determined yet.

========================================================================

UPDATE 11/14/14:
Their location at Clay has closed down. They will be relocating to a new location at West Little York near Masjid al-Mustafa.

========================================================================

**ORIGINAL POST**

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Once again, there is no logo or front picture of the restaurant. I haven't been posting a review because I no longer have Internet access at my house. This time I will be reviewing Khan BBQ and Grill. This restaurant is actually well known in the Bear Creek mosque community for it's back home feeling and good quality food. In fact, this is my dad's favorite restaurant, alongside many of the older people in Bear Creek mosque. This time I had to get food for takeout as my mother was returning from her Europe trip. After he ordered the food and I was off to get it.



Let The Experience Begin!
Khan BBQ & Grill is located just opposite the Harris County Courthouse Annex on Clay Road. The inside of the restaurant was just boring. Just plain white walls with tables and chairs. In front was the menu, a big cooler, and the cashier.



Let's Eat!
My dad ordered 4 chicken biryani to go, since it is his favorite dish. I paid around $25 (tax included). Thankfully, the food was ready by the time I asked for it. For those non Indian Subcontinent folks out there, the cashier asks the people in the kitchen whether the food is ready or not. If it is, then they would bring it to you. Otherwise, they tell you to wait.



Menu: Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the menu. Basically it is the same things you get at any Indian/Pakistani restaurant. Biryani, kabab, and karahi. The pricing is very cheap.



The Chicken Biryani that I had


The Verdict:
When I got the food home, it was still very hot and fresh. However, the taste did not satisfy my taste buds. The biryani was very bland and lacked taste. In fact, this was much worse than Paradise Biryani Pointe. It seemed like the biryani is just a mixture of rice, chicken, and Shan Masala, nothing else. In other places, the chicken is usually marinated with yogurt and spices. The food was washed down with a glass of water. Overall, two thumbs down.
The service was neutral. I have nothing to praise or criticize. I just got the food, paid, and left.



Conclusion:
Khan BBQ & Grill may be recommended by people from the mosque, but for me? Nope. There are definitely other places that serve better tasting biryani. If you want to try some good biryani in the north side of town, then I suggest you find somewhere else.



Grading:
Service: 7/10
Food: 3.5/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Overall: 20.5/30 = 68.3% (D)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Khan BBQ & Grill
16618 Clay Road, Houston, Texas 77084
Phone: (832) 593-0110
Website: none
Facebook: None
Timings: Tue-Sun: 11 AM - 10 PM; Mon closed
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send a Facebook message, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment