Thursday, August 14, 2014

CLOSED: Afghan Dastarkhwan- A taste of Afghanistan in an upscale fashion

Restaurant: Afghan Dastarkhwan
6800 Southwest Free Suite C, Houston, Texas 77084
Buffet or a-la-carte: Buffet
Date of visit: 8/11/14


Photo Credit: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EsM9Z7_fJY8/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABQ/IyV0dDUwZ5U/photo.jpg

UPDATE 8/13/16: They closed down a few months ago. In it's place is a Pakistani restaurant called Lal Qila

UPDATE 8/10/15: They have relocated to 10581 Highway 6 South, Sugar Land, Texas 77498

============================= ORIGINAL POST =============================

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I'll be reviewing another Afghan restaurant here in Houston. It is called Afghan Dastarkhwan. Dastarkhwan is a Persian term that mean "spread out meticulous dining spread". I've been wanting to try this place ever since I got a notification from zabihah.com that this place had opened up. What's funny is that I have heard so many stories about this place. It is supposed to be a place that is the "First High End Afghan resstaurant in Houston". I have heard the owner bragging about how great it is and that it's the best restaurant in town. On their Facebook page, they took pictures of the restaurant being full, the restaurant hosting graduation parties, catering to events in Houston and even Beaumont, which is 90 miles away, and franchising all over Houston! Heck, even Indian celebrities and the Pakistan club of Houston have dined here in this restaurant. The Saudis in Houston organization has even recognized them as one of the best restaurants. Now here is the drawback. The last time someone boast on the radio about how good their restaurant was Paradise Biryani nearby on Hillcroft. And this boast seemed more like "come and enjoy the most mediocre and reheated biryani in USA" rather than "come and enjoy the best biryani in USA". But there was a feature that was good: Cafe Pita. I've tried nearly all of Guy's favorites in later trips and they are really delicious! The time came for me to try when my summer macroeconomics class finished, and I had time to kill before I continue studying for my final exam. Initially I was planning on going for my monthly trip to Stanton's, but they were closed as it is was a Monday. So Afghan Dastarkhwan it is!



Let The Experience Begin!
Afghan Dastarkhwan is located at the exact same building that Lucy's Ethiopian is located. While Lucy's is in the front when you turn from the US 59 feeder, Afghan Dastarkhwan was at the back of the building. When I came in, the owner was right in front sitting on the couch and answering phone calls. He just said "feel free to sit somewhere and make yourself comfortable". I was pleasantly surprised that an Indian/Pakistani owner would be so calm. Inside, the restaurant resembled a party hall. It was quite dark in there, and there was also a stage. Maybe it's their definition of high end dining. There was also a TV playing. 



Let's Eat!
I had the buffet. The buffet consists of Kabuli Pulao, a potato and lamb curry, and Biryani (as usual). To drink, I just had water. I paid $11.80 for the buffet (tax included)


The menu consists of various traditional Afghan delicacies. I must say that for a high end restaurant, the pricing was splendid. Normally at fine dining restaurants, the prices are usually above $30


Kabuli Pulao and potato and lamb curry

The Verdict:
Contrary to the majority of buffets I have been to, this was some decent food! The Kabuli pulao still retained the flavor as if it was fresh, and the potato and lamb curry was very flavorful. It reminded me of the time in Turkey when I had a similar dish like that! Compared to Saffron Kabob House in regards to the Kabuli Pulao, this wins because it is less oily. The food was washed down with a nice full jug of water. Overall, two thumbs up
The service was good. The waitress was very attentive and I liked the idea of having a jug to yourself. That way, you can have the water when you feel like it.



Conclusion:
Unlike Paradise Biryani Pointe, the actual taste and service lived up to what the owner had said! As always, actions matter more than words. Very rarely do buffets have taste and high quality. This is one of the buffets that actually have taste and good quality. I hope to one day bring my whole family here or just grab lunch here when driving from UH.



Grading: 
Service: 9/10
Food: 8.5/10
Waiting Time: N/A
Total: 17.5/20 = 87.5% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Afghan Dastarkhwan
6800 Southwest Free Suite C, Houston, Texas 77084
Phone: (281) 784-4900
Website: http://www.afghandastarkhwan.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Afghans-Dastarkhwan/274960609352045
Timings: Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri: 11 AM - 12 AM; Sat: 12 PM - 12 AM; Sun: 12 PM - 10 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed



No comments:

Post a Comment