Sunday, March 8, 2015

CLOSED: Shawarma House- Gas Station Food Again!

Restaurant: Shawarma House
Address: Shell Gas Station at the intersection of Almeda and North McGregor Street, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 1/23/14

UPDATE 10/26/15: This is no longer in business.

*********************************************************************************

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Salam/hey guys! I haven't been able to write the review earlier since I have been sick and had relatives come over from Dallas. Today I will be writing about a new Shawarma place in town: Shawarma House. I first heard about this place from zabihah.com. They had sent me an email telling me about this restaurant opening up. I thought "Oh cool, another halal place near UH and on Almeda Road". After finishing my first class, it was off to the place.



Let The Experience Begin!
Shawarma House is located inside the Shell gas station at the intersection of North McGregor and Almeda. Going in, there was no one at the counter. After a while, a lady came up and took my order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered a simple beef shawarma. I wanted to go light because I wanted to go to Tout Suite for some dessert. To drink, I had nothing because I already had water with me. I paid $7.57 (tax included) for the shawarma. Overall, the waiting time was 5 minutes and 3 seconds.



Menu: Despite the name "Shawarma House", this place also has other items such as gyros, chicken wings, burgers, falafel, and kabobs. The price is very good, with everything under $10 (without tax). Since this is a gas station, you can buy other things such as soda, candy, sweets, and other convenient items.

Menu (click to zoom)


The Shawarma


The Verdict:
Overall, the shawarma was pretty flavorful. It did drip however, and it left a nasty stain on my jacket. It felt great to have a good shawarma place near campus, as many places that serve shawarma have shisha ( I am allergic to them). Food was washed down with a bottle of water I had.
The service was nothing to write home about. I just got the shawarma and left.



The Verdict:
If you are near UH, need gas, and feel hungry, then this place would be great for you. I hope to make more trips here.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 8.5/10
Total: 16.5 = 82.5% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Shawarma House
Shell Gas Station at the intersection of Almeda and North McGregor Street, Houston, Texas
Phone: (713) 528-0830
Website: none
Facebook: none
Timings: Mon-Sun: 10 AM - 8 PM
Caters: no

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment