Monday, November 30, 2015

Avesta Persian Grill: Finally, a new Persian place

Restaurant: Avesta Persian Grill
Address: 2691 Wilcrest Road, Houston, Texas 77042
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 11/11/15



Photo Credit: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/23/4c/19/outside-view.jpg


Background:
Salam/hey guys! Welcome to my latest review! Today I will be reviewing a new Persian restaurant that opened up earlier this year. It is called Avesta Persian Grill. It is a welcome addition to the halal Persian food scene. At long last, I am finally able to review a new Persian place here in Houston. I was in the mood to eat out since I did not want to once again eat Subway at Prairie View. Nor did I want to eat the fries at Chick-Fil-A (fries are vegan). Nor did I want to stop at McDonalds or any fast food place near the university. So I was driving down I-10, then I remembered that it had opened up and I needed to try it. So I took the Wilcrest Exit and came to the place.



Let The Experience Begin!
Avesta is located just after the Westheimer and Wilcrest traffic light. It is located next to a salon. The ambiance was very nice. It wasn't too dark or too bright. I went in and was immediately assisted. I got the table, asked for a water, and then proceeded to read the menu.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the mix shish kabob combo. It was chunks of chicken kabob (probably jujeh) and beef fillet (probably barg) with grilled vegetables. I got the sour cherry rice instead of the usual rice. I paid a grand total of $14.06 (tax included). Like Bijan, they give you herbs, feta cheese, and bread to munch on while you wait for the food. The waiting time was 13 minutes and 27 seconds.



The menu is almost the same as the other Persian places in Houston. You have the koobideh's and kababs along with some stews. You have seafood, lamb, poultry, and beef options. A significant difference between Avesta and Bijan is that Bijan has a far more variety of kababs to offer than Avesta. The prices are fairly priced.



Mix shish kabob combo and the bread



The Verdict:
For the appetizers, the bread was ok. I found the Bijan one to be better. The feta cheese was still good. In the mix shish kabob combo, the best items were the chicken, the rice, and the vegetables. All the vegetables were fresh and there was a lot of flavor in them. The rice was as good as Bijan's. The sour cherries were really tasty. The chicken was excellent. The chicken was really juicy, tender, and flavorful. The beef was a different story. It was pretty chewy. It wasn't really that juicy to be honest.
The service was really good here. The people were really nice and they did everything with a smile. They were also really polite.



Conclusion:
After trying the mix, I would recommend getting the chicken rather than the beef. I would definitely give them another chance and try out their koobidehs. I hope the service will still be good the next time I visit the place! Listed below are the rankings of the whole meat kababs for the four Persian places that I have tried so far.

1) Bijan
2) Avesta 
3) Kasra
4) Darband


Grading:
Service: 9/10
Food: 7/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (A)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Avesta Persian Grill
2691 Wilcrest Road, Houston, Texas 77042
Phone: (713) 781-5555
Website: http://www.avestahouston.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avestahouston?fref=ts
Timings: Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM; Sun: 11:30 AM - 10 PM
Caters: yes
Reservations available

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment