Saturday, November 12, 2016

Quick Review: Burger Tex Grill: Halal Burgers in Katy

Restaurant: Burger Tex
Address: 17756 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: neither
Date of visit: 9/16/16



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be doing a quick review of another halal burger spot in town. This is called Burger Tex. I first found out about this place from Facebook while I was in Illinois. I made it a point to come back and give it a try. I got to try it before heading for my old office for some work and Friday Prayer.



Let The Experience Begin!
Burger Tex is located at the intersection of I-10 and Barker Cypress Road in the strip mall where the Firehouse Sub is. Inside, there were tables and a TV playing. There was a significant amount of people there, and the line kept flowing. I read the menu and was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered an 8 oz. cheeseburger combo. When it came, there was nothing but fresh buns, the patty, and the cheese. I then realized that there was a bar where you could customize the ingredients! There were toppings like romaine and iceberg lettuce, regular and caramelized onions, tomatoes, pickles and jalapenos. They even had different sauces like BBQ sauce ranch (personally I don't understand why), thousand islands sauce and the usual ketchup, mayo, and mustard. They even have sriracha. The combo came with fries and a drink. All of this for under $10 (tax included). Great value! I got the burger with mayo, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, caramelized and regular onions, and the gooey cheese sauce. For the fries, I made my own sriracha mayo sauce by simply mixing the mayo and sriracha. Think of this place as a cheaper, halal version of Fuddruckers or Elevation burger but with bigger burgers.



Menu: Now according one of the people working there, everything was halal. I also inquired about the turkey bacon, twice actually, and got that they were halal. But after reading online, some people were saying that that the turkey bacon isn't halal, but is cooked separately. On my next visit, I will find out the truth. I just hope it wouldn't turn out to be Turkeygate 2.0 (Turkeygate is a nickname of mine and others about the scandal of M&M Grill's turkey bacon from 2014). Anyways, the prices are great! Nothing over $10 and good size burgers. I'm sold.
According to their website, there is a new menu in the works. It has not been implemented at the time of the visit. When I make my next visit, or if they make an announcement of the new menu on Facebook, I will post it.



The menu (click to view)

The burger, fries and sriracha mayo

The Verdict:
The first thing that can be said is that this is nothing compared to Stanton's, but it beats Elevation Burger in terms of the build your own concept. The second thing was that the burger was pretty good, and filling as well. The fries were also good, and went well with the sriracha mayo (which I made myself)
No complaints about the service. I appreciate the lady for helping me out and clarifying that everything was halal.


Conclusion:
Though Stanton's retains the title for best halal burgers in town, I found this place to be more better than Elevation. This is a place that I could go if I wanted a burger and didn't have the time to make the drive to Stanton's or if Stanton's is closed. I'd still recommend you guys to give it a try!



Grading: 
Service: 8/10
Food: 7.5/10
Total: 15.5/20 = 77.5% (C)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Burger Tex Grill
17756 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas
Phone: (281) 578-9495
Timings: Mon-Sat: 11 AM - 8:30 PM; Sunday: closed
Caters: Unknown

Feel free to comment below, send me an email, or message me on Facebook!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment