Saturday, December 31, 2016

CLOSED: El Plato Caliente: Not Just Tex-Mex, but Authentic Mexican Food as Well

Restaurant: El Plato Caliente
Address: 17118 West Little York Rod, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/26/16

UPDATE 1/17/17: This place has closed down.

Backgound:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be writing up about the 2nd new halal Mexican place to open up this year. It's called El Plato Caliente (Hot Plate in Spanish). I first heard about this place on Facebook. Someone said it was fully halal. I confirmed with the restaurant owner that it is indeed fully halal. Let's see if this place can have items that are either unique or can easily be another M&M Grill replacement.



Let The Experience Begin!
El Plato Caliente is located at the old location of BBQ Village, which moved and expanded next door. It turned out that this is owned by the same people. But when I went in, it was nothing like what it used to be. The inside was decorated everywhere. I then got in and a Hispanic guy helped me.



Let's Eat!
Without any hesitation, I ordered the barbacoa tacos. Barbacoa is a specialty of Mexico. It's basically slow cooked and shredded beef or sheep. This is the first halal Mexican place to have halal barbacoa. For the tortillas, I got the flour ones. I also got some free chips and salsa. I paid $8.65 (tax included).



Menu: Out of all the halal Mexican places in Houston, this has the most options, AND it's fully halal! They have menudo (beef tripe soup), the usual fajitas, enchiladas, and chimichangas, and steak! They even have a chicken version of al pastor, which is huge since al pastor is almost always pork. One thing though, at least put your menu on your Facebook page or create the website. The menu pics came from the owner who posted the entire menu on a Facebook group.

Page 1 of the menu

Page 2 of the menu

Barbacoa Taco and the Free Chips and Salsa 

The Verdict:
Solid food. The lamb had a lot of flavor. To eat it properly, you add the onions and cilantro and put some lime (not too much) in top of the meat, onions, and cilantro, and eat it. The salsa was hot. Not only hot as in spicy, hot temperature as well. I always thought it should be served cold. I am not too sure if it is ok to serve hot salsa (if anyone reading this is an expert in Mexican food, feel free to comment below). Nevertheless, good food, and no complaints about the service.



Conclusion:
If you do not want to drive to M&M Grill in the Medical Center, then you should check this place out for some halal Mexican food. You don't get a lot of the stuff you see here at the other halal Mexican places in town. Since I live 10 minutes away from this restaurant, I see myself coming here more often.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 8/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
El Plato Caliente
17118 West Little York Rod, Houston, Texas
Phone: (713) 999-9146
Website: none
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elpatocaliente/
Timings: Tue-Sat: 11 AM - 10 PM; Sun: 10 AM - 9 PM; Mon: closed
Caters: yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment