Friday, December 30, 2016

LIT BBQ & Co: Halal Texas BBQ in Houston 5.0

Stall: Lit BBQ Co.
Address: varies
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Welcome to my latest review. Today, I'll be talking about the 5th installment of halal Texas BBQ on this blog, Lit BBQ Co. Can you believe that this is the 5th installment? For this place, I'll be doing something different. I'll be summarizing both experiences. I say this because after the first trip, I immediately went back the next week, taking a friend from Atlanta. The review from the first trip hadn't been written up at the time because exams were going on and I was focusing on getting back on track (thankfully I passed all my classes). And that focus is the reason why I've been behind on my write-ups. Anyways, I wanted to try this after reading online about the place starting up as a mobile catering business (another way of saying a mobile stall). It's not a food truck, since it's on a trailer. While my parents and sister were out, I decided to give the place a try.



Let The Experience Begin!
At the time of the visits, the stall was located at the parking lot of Kababi Zaytoon (9001 Louetta Road). You get out, go to where the trailer is, and then place your order.



Let's Eat!
On the first visit, I ordered a baked potato with brisket. On the second visit, both me and my friend got the brisket sandwiches and the ribs.



Menu:
No definite menu is available. The food items available is based on what it's said on Facebook. However, the prices are cheaper compared to what other BBQ places in Texas cost. The estimates prices were under $15! One setback from both trips was that it was only open on Friday and Saturday nights.


Baked Potato

Ribs on Top and Brisket Sandwich opened on bottom

The Verdict:
The food impressed me on both visits. Despite the baked potato being small, it was still good nonetheless. The ribs and brisket were tasty as well and had a lot of flavor. The service was good on the first day, but not the second day. The people were really nice and were really helpful, but on the second day, they came much later than the 9:30 PM slot they said on Facebook. This is a major no-no, as the place would lose customers if the owner would not come at the specific time that was announced.



Conclusion:
I honestly hope that Lit BBQ doesn't suffer the same fate that the other places (except the Bark BBQ) faced, which is either shutting down or removing halal meat. They should however come up with a full menu (a must for any mobile unit). If you want some halal Texas BBQ during the night time, then you should give this place a try!
Now before I finish this review up, I am going to take this moment to speak to you: the reader. Ever since I started blogging nearly 4 years ago, I have always heard many people talk about how there should be a halal Texas BBQ place. The desire for it has always been high because 1) Texas is a major BBQ state, and 2) many people who have lived in Texas all their lives have never got to try it at all. Here's the thing, desiring is one thing, but supporting and making sure that it is open is a completely different thing. The fact that many do not realize that the previous sentence is applicable is the main reason why we are at a 5th BBQ establishment these past 4 years. Normally when you hear that there have been 5 BBQ places that use halal meat, it would mean that it is a huge hit especially with the Muslim population. The reality is the stark opposite. Out of the 5, only 2 are still in business. One is because they just started out a few months back, the other is because of the support of the non-Muslims. Two shut down and one stopped serving halal due to "unforseen circumstances". So why did two of the places close down? The answer is simple: prices. When Chopped N Smoked used to be in business, one of the complaints that I have been hearing were the prices. When I compared the prices of them to Killen's BBQ in Pearland (where they don't cook their zabiha halal brisket separately from their pork), I realized it was a repeat of what I always see many people do: complaining about halal restaurant prices while not minding non-halal restaurant prices. Those people complaining about the prices at halal places, and many others, do not mind paying similar or even more at places such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or even La Madeline for seafood or vegetarian options. Some even don't mind eating at places that use either alcohol in their cooking (alcohol evaporation chart: https://www.oasas.ny.gov/admed/fyi/fyi-cooking.cfm) or not cooking separately from the pork (why you should avoid bbq restaurants even if they have halal beef: http://muslimeater.com/2015/10/16/why-you-should-avoid-bbq-restaurants-even-if-they-have-halal-beef/). Here's the thing, paying a significant amount for some cuts of beef is real. Ribs and brisket are expensive cuts of meat, as confirmed by one of the BBQ owners that I have met. The only way we can all be happy about having a halal Texas BBQ place is if we learn to accept that halal Texas BBQ is significantly priced higher than some cuisines, just like it is with Killen's, Franklin's in Austin, and countless other BBQ places. If you are not convinced, let me ask you this. Would you love to enjoy halal Texas BBQ like a typical Texan without the pork, or would you rather see halal Texas BBQ places get shut down and the owners being upset about the lack of support from the Muslim community after they do you guys a favor by providing the exact same things as a typical Texas BBQ place without the pork? It's up to you.



Grading: Based on both visits
Food: 9/10
Service: 7/10 (Points deducted for late arrival)
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Lit BBQ Co.
Location varies
Phone: (832) 431-0518 (If you live in Houston, then I strongly suggest you save this number. You can order via text for catering or even ask for the menu of the day)
Website: None
Timings: per Facebook: Fri-Sat: 9:30 PM - 2 AM
Caters: yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment