Thursday, January 26, 2017

CLOSED: El Beso Cantina: A Near Perfect Meal of a Mexican Favorite

Restaurant: El Beso Cantina
Address: 3821 Farnham Road, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte:
Date of visit: 1/6/17

UPDATE 11/26/18: Place has been closed for a while

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be writing about my experience at another new halal restaurant. This time it is called El Beso Cantina. This is the fourth place to offer halal Mexican or Tex-Mex ONLY since 2015 (the others are Bullritos at UH, AlCaliente, and El Plato Caliente). I found out about this on Instagram, when someone I follow (not another Houston/halal food account) posted about this place. They had a "We Serve Zabiha Halal" sign right outside the building entrance. I messaged them on Facebook, and confirmed that they were halal. I got to try it when I was going out. After attending Friday prayers, I headed to the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
This restaurant is located where 59 Diner used to be, and right next to The Halal Guys. I got inside, welcomed, and helped to a table. After asking for some extra time, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I asked what the popular items are, and they said anything. Then I had noticed where it said "Popular Items" and decided to order machaga. Machaga is basically shredded beef with migas. Migas are a popular Tex-Mex and Mexican dish that comprises of sauteed corn tortillas with eggs scrambled with onions and jalapenos topped with salsa and jack cheese. I also got free chips and salsa. I paid a total price of $10.83 (tax included). The waiting time was 11 minutes and 32 seconds.



Menu: https://www.facebook.com/pg/elbesocantinahouston/menu/?p_ref=pa&ref=page_internal
Would you believe that a place like this uses halal chicken and beef?! By the way, the pork is cooked separately, as I have confirmed via Facebook message for both. The best part? It's open 24 hours! This is the first halal place to be open 24 hours a day! So whether you want a midnight snack or just simply feel hungry and can't find a place to eat late at night, this is a place that you can try! They even do all day breakfast and have an overnight menu and have a huge variety of items ranging from pancakes and crepes to surf and turf to Mexican food. Special thanks to the snapchat use for sending me screenshots of the overnight menu!


Overnight menu Page 1

Overnight menu Page 2

Machaga with migas and refried beans. They also give two tortillas

The Verdict:
A very flawless meal. There was a lot of flavor in the food. only issue was that the salsa was a tad overpowering. Nonetheless, a very good meal. Food was washed down with water, and there were no complaints about the food.



Conclusion:
It's nice to see another halal Mexican place open up in Houston, and much nicer to see them offer more halal Mexican options than M&M Grill. I hope they stick around for a long time, and also succeed with the late night crowd. I definitely would come back and try more items.



Grading: 
Food: 8/10
Service; 8/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
El Beso Cantina
3801 Farnham Street, Houston, Texas
Phone: (832) 834-7157
Website: none
Timings: 24 Hours a Day Seven Days a Week
Caters: N/A

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment