Sunday, October 29, 2017

Pinkerton's BBQ: The First Sit-Down Halal BBQ Spot in Texas

Restaurant: Pinkerton's BBQ
Address: 1504 Airline Drive, Houston, TX
Buffet or a-la-carte: neither
Date of visit: 10/22/2017

UPDATE 3/19/18: They smoke separately and can cut separately as well on all days!

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Welcome to my latest review. This one is a special one. I am pleased to announce that we finally have a sit down BBQ spot in Houston after a 4 year wait. And this one was big. One closed down (now they reopened and do catering only), and the others do on specific days or catering events. This is a place where you can bring your family and friends, sit down, and eat BBQ. The place is in question is called Pinkerton's BBQ. Believe it or not, this place is regarded to have some of the best BBQ in the Houston area. This place was even considered to be in the top 100 restaurants in Houston by Houston Chronicle food critic Alison cook. Unreal stuff.
So how did all of this start? I got a notification from zabihah.com that Pinkerton's uses halal brisket from Creekstone about a few months ago. I messaged them, and they said that they were working on it. Since then, I was in contact with the owner. I wanted to go in the summer, but a roadblock hit. Prices at Creekstone went up significantly, and the owner wanted to wait until they came down to get the beef. Fast forward to last week, and my best friend shows me a message from one of his friends about Pinkerton's. It now said that you needed at least 24 hours notice. I message him and he said it would be best to come to the restaurant for separately smoked brisket on the weekends, and also early as they tend to run out! Amazing how they're willing to accommodate Muslim customers yet two other BBQ spots in the states said it was not possible to do! Hopefully, the wait would be worth it.



Let The Experience Begin!
Pinkerton's in located in the middle of the Heights on Airline Drive. It's located more to I-45 than it is to 610. I went twice so that I would get the idea of what to expect. So one day I went myself and the next day I brought a group of friends. On Saturday, it was packed! I had to wait for about 5 minutes for parking, but inside the line was thankfully not that long. I met the owner, who said that I was good regarding the smoked brisket! Afterwards, I went in line.
In the second day, I guided my friends in what to do (which is literally just get in line LOL)



Let's Eat!
The way it works is that you get in line and you get your sides and condiments first. They have onions, pickles, and jalapenos. You then have the option of getting sides. I got a potato salad. Then comes the main attraction: the meats. On the first day, I went for a half pound of some nice, fatty brisket. That's where I learned that you have to mention to the cutters that you want halal. They then bring out a freshly smoked brisket onto a clean cutting board with a clean knife. On the second day, I got the brisket as well, but then I learned that ALL their beef is halal (and has been verified many times). Wow. Just wow. So I got myself a chopped beef sandwich. How about that for a comeback after 4 years. There's no waiting time. They listen to what you want, and they give it to you. Definitely something needed since the line can be REALLY long.



Menu: http://www.pinkertonsbarbecue.com/menu/
Prices are literally like EVERY OTHER POPULAR TEXAS BBQ SPOT. I capitalized because the lack of understanding of the fact that BBQ prices are pretty high is one of the major reasons why halal Texas BBQ has failed in Houston. I honestly hope that this one will reverse that. I have provided the links of two popular BBQ spots (Franklin's in Austin and Killen's in Pearland), where you can click on the menu and see what the prices are (note that both use Creekstone, but DO NOT smoke separately from the pork).

Franklin's --> https://franklinbbq.com/menu

Killen's --> https://www.killensbarbecue.com/#menu


The food at Pinkerton's is literally like the ones are the above places. Just pick your sides and meats, and you're good to go! Just remember that only the beef is halal, and you must mention halal when getting your meats. Plenty of people have called them up and confirmed with them that the beef is halal, and everyone in my group asked them about halal and then got the meat.

Brisket cut in half. Pink doesn't mean blood. 

One pound of brisket with potato salad for two
Chopped Beef






The Verdict:
The four year wait was well worth it. The meat was so juicy and tasty. There was so much flavor in the moist brisket. The BBQ sauce was exceptional also. This was on both trips by the way. The majority of the folks with me really liked it (the folks who didn't like it were not beef fans), The food was washed down with a nice bottle of Mexican Coke.
Service was great. The people, including the owner, were incredibly nice.



Conclusion:
One of the top spots for Texas BBQ in Houston AND uses halal meat? You got yourself a customer! I'll definitely be back and I'll definitely bring my friends and family here. You guys should give this place a try if you want a taste of what Texas BBQ is!



Grading:
Food: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Total: 18/20 = 90% (A)
Pricing: $$$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information
Pinkerton's BBQ
1504 Airline Drive, Houston, Texas
Phone: (713) 802-2000
Website: http://www.pinkertonsbarbecue.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pinkertonsbarbecue/
Instagram: pinkertonsbbq
Timings: Mon-Tue: closed; Wed-Thu & Sun: 11 AM - 9 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 10 PM. I however suggest you guys go early on weekends since they tend to sell out!
Caters: yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment