Monday, March 19, 2018

Deen's Cheesesteak

Restaurant: Deen's Cheesesteaks
Address: 5222 Barker Cypress (Barker Cypress and Keith Harrow), Houston, TX
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 1/23/18

Update 10/18/18: This place has become a family favorite of mine. My new favorite item here is their chicken tikka cheesesteak. It's right now my favorite chicken cheesesteak in town! They put chicken tikka, onions, bell peppers, and their white sauce in their cheesesteak. Go give it a try!

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be writing about two experiences that I had at a new spot for halal American fare: Deen's. After seeing on Facebook about their opening, I had to give them a try. It is really nice to see another option for halal American food near the mosque that's near my house. For many years that I had been going to that mosque, there was one place that dominated it all: Khan BBQ and Grill 😒. Khan BBQ was something that literally everyone who goes to that mosque obsessed over. 9/10 times will they cater to the mosque for events that happen. I really hope this can be a good alternative for me.



Let's Eat!
Deen's is located on the intersection of Barker Cypress and Keith Harrow. Inside is really nice. They also have frozen yogurt, and get this, VIDEO GAMES. You can literally play games on PS4 or XBOX One while waiting for your food! They have games such as Need For Speed and Fifa! I've come here on four occasions, and I have tried a variety of foods. The first trip consisted of their authentic cheesesteak (ribeye, sauteed onions, and real cheese whiz) and fries. The second trip consisted of their American cheesesteak (ribeye, sauteed onions, bell peppers, and American cheese), fries, white garlic wings, and honey BBQ wings. The third trip consisted of what they call the Texas Cheesesteak. It's basically a fusion of Philly and Texas (No, not the Cowboys and Eagles bonding together lol). It's ribeye, onion strings, and American cheese drizzled with BBQ sauce. The final trip consisting of a cheesesteak that combined the Indian subcontinent and SE Pennsylvania: the tandoori chicken cheesesteak. It was tandoori chicken, onions, bell peppers, and American cheese drizzled with white sauce. The white sauce was what the owner recommended doing, so I had to go for it. While waiting, I played some games.



Menu: https://deenshouston.com/
Not only do they offer a variety of cheesesteaks and wings. They have calzones, pizza, and even frozen yogurt! Really promising items.



Clockwise from top left: White garlic wings, honey BBQ wings, Deen's Cheesesteak, and Fries

Authentic Cheesesteak: Just like Pat's

Texas Cheesesteak

Tandoori Chicken Cheesesteak

The Verdict:
Great food, I mean a wonderful addition to the food scene here. And it was something that was desperately needed in the area. Out of all the items I've tried, the standout was the tandoori cheesesteak. Nevertheless, the quality was consistently high for all the dishes.



Conclusion:
For the Cypress and Katy, Deen's is a great addition to the halal food scene. It's a place to try Philly chessesteaks, both original and innovative, if you don't want to drive to Hillcroft. I definitely see myself coming back here more often!



Grading:
Service: 10/10
Food: 8.5/10
Total: 18.5/20 = 92.5% (A)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Deen's Cheesesteaks
Address: 5222 Barker Cypress (Barker Cypress and Keith Harrow), Houston, TX
Phone: (832) 772-2618
Website: https://deenshouston.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeensHouston/
Timings: Sun - Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri - Sat: 11 AM - Midnight
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!
Cheers!
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment