Sunday, September 8, 2013

La Fendee Mediterranean Grill - The Halal Version of the Typical Montrose/Neartown Restaurant

Restaurant: La Fendee Mediterranean Grill
1402 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77006
Buffet or a-la-carte? A-la-carte
Date of Visit: 9/7/2013



Photo Credit: (http://www.bigkidsmallcity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SignScale.jpg)
Background:
Salam/Hello guys! Today I will be reviewing La Fendee Mediterranean Grill, a restaurant that is located in the Montrose/Neartown area of Houston. After my Chemistry Lab finished, I had time to spare until I had to attend a seminar about how to be financially well after college. The problem was that I only had an hour to drive to the restaurant, get the food, and come back in time for the seminar. Originally I was planning on going to Turquoise Grill, but I had to pay for parking. Driving on Westheimer in the Montrose area, I immediately saw the restaurant and immediately Googled it on my phone to see if it was halal, and it was! So I pulled up to the parking spot.



Let The Experience Begin!
After going through roads that had construction going, and driving on single lane roads that were so dangerous that one twitch would have caused an accident, I arrived at the restaurant. La Fendee restaurant is like any other restaurant in the Neartown/Montrose area. It has a very nice and bright interior, and it has a nice patio outside, which was covered because it was raining for nearly the whole day. Parking was very welcoming, as the space was much bigger than most of the restaurants on Westheimer Road. While coming, I had seen many cars parallel parked, a rare sight here in Texas. Inside the restaurant, you could see the assembling of the food, and you could see the food get ready while you wait. They also have an option of either a fountain drink or a regular bottle drink. Nice variety. The owner was a very friendly lady. She went around all the tables, asking them if they were satisfied with the food. She always smiled and greeted the customers whenever they entered the restaurant. When a customer leaves, she says "Thanks for coming and have a nice day!". Great service there! It made sure that the customers were happy and felt welcome in this restaurant. There was a TV playing while the customers were waiting for the food. I then proceeded to see the menu.



Let's Eat!
Considering the short amount of time I had before the seminar, I decided to have takeout instead of dining in. So I decided to have a simple dish of a beef shawarma sandwich with a Pepsi. The price was reasonable at around $8.10 (tax included). The wait was a short one thankfully, at around 6 minutes and 10 seconds. One thing that I noticed was the large availability of hookah in the restaurant, so for all the hookah lovers out there, this could be a good spot for you guys to hang out and smoke.



Menu: The menu can be found here --> http://www.lafendeegrill.com/menu/


Beef Shawarma and Pepsi (Better quality because I got a new phone!)

The Verdict:
The shawarma was fresh, and tasted well. The garlic sauce and beef complimented each other. One thing I did not like however was that the vegetables were at the bottom of the shawarma. Shouldn't they spread out all over the roll like the beef and garlic sauce are? I mean, the vegetables can fit perfectly with the sauce and the beef. I first could taste the vegetables after eating half the shawarma. Despite this, the vegetables were delicious and were fresh. Another thing I found interesting was the presence of grape leaves. Out of all the years that I have had shawarma since my days in Saudi Arabia, I had never seen the presence of grape leaves. Interesting to be honest. Maybe it was there to give the whole roll some taste and make it spicy (Mediterranean food experts, please help!). I accidentally bit into two of them and spat them out. I honestly didn't know whether they were for eating or not, as in the Indian cuisine that I am used to, we do not eat the curry leaves in the lentils curry (daal). Anyways, the shawarma was washed down with a nice Pepsi fountain drink.



Conclusion:
In my opinion, if you want to eat here, come for lunch. I would suggest that you avoid coming for dinner as it will be full of people smoking hookah. The odor of hookah can affect the smell and taste of the food. In fact, the smell of hookah is A LOT worse than the smell of cigarettes. So the food might smell and taste like hookah itself. But if you have to come for dinner, either take out, or eat at a place in the restaurant where there is no hookah. 
Now the food: Eat here. It's good and you will enjoy. If you order shawarma (or any sandwich), be careful of the grape leaves. The other food items seemed appetizing, and I think you guys will enjoy it.



Grading:
Service: 10/10 (very friendly, made me feel welcome)
Food: 8/10 (Decent. Just put more vegetables next time)
Waiting Time: 10/10 (6 minutes and 10 seconds)
Overall: 28/30 = 93.3% (A)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information
Le Fendee Mediterranean Grill
1402 Westheimer Road, Houston, Texas 77006
Phone: (713) 522-1505
Timings --> Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM; Sun: 12 PM- 10 PM
Caters: Yes


Feel Free To Comment Below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment