Sunday, August 31, 2014

NOT HALAL: Jack Stack BBQ - First Fine Dining Experience

Restaurant: Jack Stack BBQ
9520 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, Kansas 66212
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 8.20/14




UPDATE 8/10/15: The halal lamb is sold in the store. Per the latest review, they don't serve halal meat. What a shame. I really enjoyed it. Guess I have to wait and see if there's another halal steakhouse or BBQ place in Kansas City.



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be reviewing the second restaurant that I visited in Kansas City: Jack Stack BBQ. Jack Stack BBQ is considered to be one of the finest BBQ places in Kansas City. They also ship BBQ orders nationwide. Kansas City is considered to be the BBQ capital of America, and this is considered to be one of the main contributors to the Kansas City BBQ food scene. They have four locations in the City: Wyandotte and Ward Parkway in the Country Club Plaza, 22nd Street and Wyandotte downtown, 95th and Metcalf in Overland Park, Kansas, and 135th and Holmes in Martin City. This one reviews the locations in Overland Park, since it is near to my aunt's house. This visit would not have been possible if I hadn't been on the zabihah.com app after my uncle said that we were going there. After giving the cousins food, we left my aunt's house and arrived at the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
When we arrived at the place, there was actually a waiting line! This gives a hint that this place has one of the best foods in the entire city, we just sat at the sitting area waiting for the pager to vibrate. When the pager vibrates, that means a table is ready for you. Inside was bustling. There was a bar that showed the Royals vs Rockies game. Nearly every table was full. We got one of the booths. We were immediately offered water as we sat down along with the menus. After a few minutes, we were ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the New Zealand rack of lamb, the only zabiha halal thing in the restaurant. My uncle ordered a steak, my sister ordered shrimp, and my aunt ordered tilapia. For appetizers, we ordered onion rings. Condiments included ketchup and homemade BBQ sauce. Everyone in the group eats zabiha except my uncle. Anyone who attacks either on Facebook, email, or this blog will be reported. We specifically asked to cook everything separately to avoid cross-contamination. At $32.50 + tax, the New Zealand rack of lamb takes the title of the most expensive food item that I have ever tried in this blog and my entire life. The waiting time was decent, but I will be lenient since the restaurant was packed like crazy



Menu (click to view): Dine-in,
Well, the prices clearly indicate that this is the most expensive restaurant that I have ever visited in this blog. Pork is served, but the lamb and seafood can be cooked separately. Also, the vast majority of the other menu items only have the non-halal meats.

The Onion Rings, and the red thing is BBQ sauce.  My aunt is also annoyed at how my uncle is always on the phone lol

The Caesar Salad.


The Rack of lamb with a cheese and chive spud and jelly


The Verdict:
To be very honest, we horribly underestimated how big the onion rings would be. But when I tried it, it was absolutely amazing! This takes the title as the best onion rings that I have ever had in my entire life. It went very well with the BBQ sauce. The Caesar salad itself was off the chains. The vegetables were very fresh, and the portion was really big. Then the grand finale: the rack of lamb. It may look small, but it was very filling. The spud came with a bonus: cream! By the time I finished this, I was completely stuffed. Only one word to describe the dish: divine.
The service was top notch too. There were constant refills, and the waitress had a nice smile on her face. She was very helpful, let us take our time to decide what to order, and told us about what had alcohol and bacon so that we would know what not to order.



Conclusion:
Jack Stack shows why Kansas City is the BBQ capital of America. Their lamb was as amazing as the BBQ might be. Let's hope one day that halal meat could be used to cook other items like ribs and brisket. I would definitely recommend and I would definitely come and visit again whenever I visit Kansas City Again.



Restaurant Information
Service: 10/10
Food: 10/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Overall: 30/30 = 100% (A)
Pricing: $$$$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Jack Stack BBQ
9520 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, Kansas 66212
Phone: (913) 385-7427
Website: http://www.jackstackbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jackstackbbq
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jackstackbbq; @jackstackbbq
Timings: Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 10:30 PM; Sun: 11 AM - 9 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment