Monday, November 10, 2014

Bismillah Cafe: Your typical Desi-American restaurant

Restaurant: Bismillah Cafe
5696 Hillcroft Avenue, Houston, Texas 77036
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 11/1/14



Photo Credit: http://www.localsugar.com/limage/556DSCN1562.JPG


Background:
Salam/hey guys! After a long time of studying and stressing out, I am back for now! Today I will be reviewing Bismillah Cafe. This was on my bucket list since the start of 2014. Delays have included me going there too early and my friend cancelling a trip at the very last minute (which really upset me). I first heard of this place on Instagram when someone took a picture of their ten chicken wings. At long last, I got the chance to drive there before my Saturday class. I went in once with my cousin, but I didn't eat because I was saving my stomach for M&M Grill (when I used to eat there). After going through traffic, I arrived at the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
Bismillah is located in the same strip mall as Busy Boy and Darband Shish Kabob. Now here is a catch. There are two Bismillahs in the same strip mall separated by Hot Breads. One is Bismillah Restaurant, which has traditional Pakistani food, and the other is Bismillah Cafe, which is a cafe serving American and Indian Snacks. I went to the cafe. Inside was a typical cafe, with tables and chairs. There was the cashier just sitting down. While skimming through the menu, he goes in a very grumpy attitude saying "Is there anything in particular that you want?" This is not good. In every other restaurant I have been to, the waiter/waitresses allowed me to take my own time in deciding in what I wanted. It seemed like he was a really pushy person. He wanted me to hurry up so that he could go back to his phone. This showed that he wasn't interested in doing his job. It really doesn't hurt to be professional and polite to your customers. Eventually after taking some more time, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I eventually decided to order the Ten Chicken Wings, and the animal style fries. Yup, ANIMAL STYLE FRIES. It seemed like I was getting a taste of In-N-Out (They don't have any stores in Houston, which is a good thing because we are a proud burger city). For those who don't know, animal fries are basically fries topped with thousand islands sauce, grilled onions, and cheese. The Ten Chicken Wings are a specialty of this restaurant. It is basically chicken marinated and grilled in a special ten spices sauce. To drink, I got a bottle of water. Another thing that struck me was the price. The price of the animal fries is $4.99 without tax. According to the menu, the price of the ten chicken wings was $6.99. When I read the receipt, they had charged $7.99 for the chicken wings. Can they not update it on the menu?? I don't wanna get ripped off you know (Yes I will call out any restaurant that rips me off by lying about the costs of the menu items). If a customer is on a budget and only has about $8 to spend, and he/she finds the ten chicken wings interesting and wants to order it, how would that person feel if it is $7.99 instead? The waiting time was a good 9 minutes and 6 seconds.



Menu: http://www.bismillahrestaurant.com/menu

I honestly like the fact that there are many options, but I don't like the fact that the prices on here. It seems like you walking blind when going to the restaurant and then hitting a concrete wall hard when seeing the prices listed on the menu.



Animal Fries

 
Ten Chicken Wings



The Verdict:
Well, despite the lapse in the service, the food was absolutely wonderful! And let me warn you that the Ten Chicken Wings is very spicy for those not familiar with spicy food. The animal fries were out of this world and extremely filling! It was so filling that I wasn't even able to finish it all even though I finished the Ten Chicken Wings. The food was washed down with a bottle of water. Overall, two thumbs up.




Conclusion: 
It's a shame that this restaurant has excellent food yet can't have good customer service. At least he didn't make me upset so much that I won't be returning to the restaurant. I will make more trips, but I just hope that the cashier fixes his attitude.



Grading:
Service: 6/10
Food: 9/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Overall: 25/30 = 83.3% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Bismillah Cafe
5696 Hillcroft Avenue, Houston, Texas 77036
Phone: (713) 587-9300
Website: http://www.bismillahrestaurant.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Bismillahcafe
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bismillahcafe
Timings: Mon-Sun: 11:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment