Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Afghan Village- Your traditional Afghan Restaurant

Restaurant: Afghan Village
Address: 6413 Hillcroft Street, Houston, Texas 77081
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 2/9/15



Photo Credit: https://farflungfoods.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/afghan-village.jpg



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Sorry I am late on this review as I have been busy with school lately. Today I will be reviewing another Afghan Restaurant that is popular in Houston: Afghan Village. Afghan Village is reputed to have some really good Afghan food. I have been here once during Ramadan for their buffet, and it was really delicious. I decided to not review during last Ramadan, but this coming Ramadan I actually will review places but still fast and pray. What makes this place unique is that it is on the other side of Hillcroft, away from the large umber of halal restaurants that you pass by whenever you are on it. I got to go here when I had forgotten my lunch at my house. I wanted to go to Elevation Burger or Gyro King since Stanton's was closed for the day. But then I decided that I will give this place another try. Thankfully traffic was not bad at 11:30 AM, so I arrived here in only 15 minutes.



Let The Experience Begin!
Inside the restaurant, you have a place where you can sit traditionally, and you have tables. There was part that was set up as if there was a buffet. Despite that, the owner came up to me with the menu and asked me what I wanted to drink which I chose water.



Let's Eat!
Normally when I would go to an Afghan restaurant, I would order the famous Afghan delicacy: Kabuli Pulao. But this time, I decided to try something that wasn't Pulao, but is considered another major delicacy of Afghanistan: Manto. Manto is basically a dumpling stuffed with beef and onions and is topped with mint, meat sauce, and dried mint. To drink, I just had a glass of water. I paid a total of $10.77 (tax included). The waiting time was 10 minutes and 23 seconds.



Menu: http://www.theafghanvillage.com/menu.htmlhttp://www.theafghanvillage.com/menu-page-2.html
The prices are a tad higher compared to Afghan Dastarkhwan, but it is very similar. It features all the usual Afghan delicacies. Also, the mantu is an entree here compared to Afghan Dastarkhwan. I like the fact that the restaurant took the picture of the actual food, not use stock pictures.



The Manto

The Verdict:
So was it worth ordering this over the Kabuli Pulao? Absolutely! The dumplings were fresh, the mint and meat sauces were really tasty, and the yellow stuff was wonderful! The beef inside the dumpling was also amazing! The food was washed down with the water. Overall, two thumbs up.
The service was good. The owner was really nice. He let me take my time and decide which dish to take, and made sure the other customers were OK.



Conclusion:
If you want some good Afghan food, then this place would be a wonderful place to visit. The food is awesome and the people are nice! I would recommend this place, especially if you are with a large group of people. They have a buffet during Ramadan, so you can come here, have iftar, pray, and then eat!



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 9/10
Total: 17/20 = 85% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Afghan Village
6413 Hillcroft Street, Houston, Texas 77081
Phone: (713) 808-9005
Timings: Mon-Thu & Sun: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri & Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM
Caters: Yes


Feel free to comment below, send me a message on my Facebook page, or email me!

Cheers! 
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment