Monday, February 16, 2015

Dogarz Doner- The Doner Kebap Competition Has Spiced Up

Restaurant: Dogarz Doner
Address: 2101 Smith Street, Houston, Texas 77002
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 2/7/15



Photo Credit: http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/fMO_PDd6us8oXNpiBRoIsQ/ms.jpg

UPDATE 12/29/15: This is now the only place in Houston with halal Berlin style doner kebaps.


ORIGINAL POST:
Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be reviewing another place that serves Doner Kebap: Dogarz Doner. Believe it or not, ever since the introduction of Verts early last year, the cravings for doner kebap has increased a lot. Verts has now expanded to other parts of town (Westheimer, Tomball, Spring, River Oaks, Cypress). This prompted others to start up their own doner kebap places. One other place will be opening up on Highway 6 near King's Chicken and Great Khan called Crisp Doner Cafe. I first heard of this place when I was walking down the Houston Premium Outlets and I saw a food cart that had the same name. Only thing was, it was the last day of Ramadan. I then went back and googled them up. It turned out that they also had a store near downtown. A few months later, I ended up going after finishing my trip to campus to get tutored for my statics class.



Let The Experience Begin!
Dogarz Doner is located at the intersection of W. Gray and Smith Street. From the store, you can clearly see downtown. It is located next to a Starbucks and a T-Mobile store. I was the only one that was in the store, since it was 2:30 pm. I saw the menu that was hanging and a few moments later, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the DonerMe, which is basically a doner kebap with meat (lamb and beef). Now the funny part is that you don't get asked which vegetables or sauces you want in the doner, which is what Verts does. This means that Dogarz is similar to a normal restaurant, while Verts is similar to Subway and Chipotle. I paid $9.20 (tax included), which is more than I paid during my first visit to Verts. There was also a waiting time of 11 minutes and 34 seconds, while Verts had no waiting time.



Menu: https://www.facebook.com/Dogarzdoner/app_187136414669863
According to the people working there, everything is halal. It is interesting how the prices are higher than Verts, and you don't have the luxury of choosing your vegetables and sauces.



The DonerMe


The Verdict:
This doner kebap gives Verts a run for its money. The food was really good! One major difference is that you can see the meat, and that there is very less sauce in the doner kebap. It is very filling and big, so big that they give a fork to you. A lot of it fell down when I picked it up to take a bite. Overall, two thumbs up.
The service was normal.



Conclusion:
Dogarz Doner makes the trip through Midtown worth it. I hopefully will be making more visits to the restaurant and also the food truck once it hopefully goes back running.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 9/10
Total: 17/20 = 85% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Dogarz Doner
2101 Smith Street, Houston, Texas 77002
Phone: (281) 706-3466
Website: http://www.dogarzdoner.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/zee.dogar.9?fref=ts
Timings: Sun-Thu: 10 AM - 9 PM; Fri-Sat: 10 AM - 10 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment