Saturday, October 31, 2015

Saigon Subs: New Cuisine, Good Food

Restaurant: Saigon Subs
Address: 1809 Eldridge Parkway #109, Houston, Texas 77077
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/15/15


Photo Credit: https://d.zmtcdn.com/data/pictures/6/16893036/55176b697b7b2a546869f8f4020f2518_160_thumb.jpg


Background:
Salam/hey guys! Sorry I am running behind on writing the reviews. I have been really busy with school and because of school I have to constantly push back publishing dates for my reviews. Anyways, today's review is of a sandwich shop. It's not your usual Subway or a deli with vegetarian/seafood items. It's actually a Vietnamese sandwich shop. Yup another halal cuisine in Houston! It is obvious that it's Vietnamese because the restaurant name, Saigon Subs, has the former name of Ho Chi Minh City which is Saigon. I actually have never been to a Vietnamese sandwich shop, though I have tried vegetarian egg rolls and vegetarian spring rolls (the ones that are white and can see the fillings. I had a ray of belief that there would be some Vietnamese place that would be halal, but it's a challenge because of the extremely wide consumption of pork in Vietnamese cuisine. That was until I discovered that in Fullerton, California, there was a place that had halal pho! Pho (pronounced "fa") is a really popular Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of meat, noodles, and broth. It is a really popular street food item in Vietnam. I saw that it serves pho the exact same way as popular pho places serve here in Houston. A year and a half later, I discovered that this place had halal beef! I had been wanting to go ever since. The time for me came to try after I finished for the week at Prairie View A&M University. Our childhood friends and their mom, who is good friends with my mom, were visiting from Boston. I had time before going to pick them up, so I decided to give this place a try.



Let The Experience Begin!
Saigon Subs is located in the same strip mall as the relocated Crespo Pizza (I got a cheese pizza and Pepsi because I hadn't eaten anything since morning and was extremely hungry since it was around 3 PM) The ambiance was dark. The radio was playing, and there was a friendly lady ready to take my order. After confirming the halal status, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the grilled beef banh mi. Banh Mi is basically Vietnamese bread, similar to a French baguette. It's a very popular snack in Vietnam. The banh mi sandwich comes with cilantro, pickled shredded carrots, and cucumbers. I also got a bottle of water. The waiting time was 7 minutes and 13 seconds.



Menu: Banh MiSubsSmoothiesCoffeeTea
This place, like the vast majority of Vietnamese places, serve pork. Pate is pork liver, so be careful. I saw them go inside the kitchen to cook the meat. They then came and put the remaining things in.



Beef Banh Mi



The Verdict:
The Banh Mi was actually pretty good! The grilled beef was really flavorful. The vegetables were fresh and the bread wasn't stale at all! The food was washed down with a bottle of water. Good job Saigon Subs!
The service was good too. The person was really friendly. I had no problems.



Conclusion:
I would definitely give this place another try, and you guys should give this place a try. It's the only Vietnamese restaurant that has halal meat here in Houston. You won't be disappointed. Now the countdown for a halal Vietnamese place with both banh mi and pho begins!



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 8/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information: 
Saigon Subs
1809 Eldridge Parkway #109, Houston, Texas 77077
Phone: (281) 759-5429
Website: http://www.saigonsubs.net/index.html
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Saigon-Subs-659477844148045/
Timings: Mon-Sat: 10:30 AM - 8 PM; Sun: closed
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment