Saturday, August 13, 2016

Fly By: A Tradition Broken

Restaurant: Fly By
Address: 3103 Wilson Road, Humble, Texas 77396
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 7/2/16



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Welcome to my latest review. Today, I will be reviewing of a place that offers something that was desperately needed in the Northeast side of town: The place is called Fly By. What is this place offering that was desperately needed? American and Tex-Mex. I know that there are many halal American and Tex-Mex places all over the metro area, but there was only one north of I-10 at the time of the visit. After Burger Gyros Wings on West Little York closed down, there was just a halal burger place north of I-10, a place called Philly Cheese Steaks and Burgers on Rayford Rd east of I-45 in Spring. The area from 249 to I-69 near Bush airport has diversity, but only has just that American place. Mind you, it was only until the opening of the burger place last year that the area between I-45 and I-69 had zero halal American places. I remember my friends who lived in that area always wishing that there would be a halal place where they wouldn't have to either pass downtown to go to Hillcroft or Sugar Land, or have to drive to Spring. A few days before the visit, I got a notification that the place was opened and that it was all the way in Humble. I haven't reviewed a place east of I-45 in a really long time. The only places that I reviewed east of I-45 were Iqra Grill (now closed), and Indian Grill. But this was different. This was east of I-69 at the intersection of Wilson and Atascosita Road. I honestly wondered whether it would be worth driving all the way there for some halal American and Tex-Mex food either from Fred Haas after getting my car serviced, or even from my house. I looked at the menu and was very impressed with the options available (explained in detail below). I actually got the chance to try it when I had to go to a site near the beltway and Highway 90 in the East End. I left early, and headed to the restaurant. With that, it is now official that this is the first ever review to be done for something I had eaten for breakfast.
Now, halal breakfast has popped up over the past few years, but it's been really sporadic. For most of the 10 years I've been living in the US, the only halal breakfasts available in town were halwa puri in some of the Indian/Pakistani places.For breakfast, I would normally go and grab one or two donuts from Shipley's, grab pastries from Panera, or eat an omelette from either La Madeline or IHOP. The first halal non Indian/Pakistani place to have breakfast or even brunch was Nazif's on Fondren with their Sunday traditional Turkish brunch if I can recall correctly. After that, M&M Grill had a breakfast menu for a period of time. They had huevos rancheros and even halal beef chorizo (the only place to have ever featured that). They stopped only a few months later. Then came TG's Cravings (Sugar Land location closed for repair and Cypress location opening soon) being the first place to offer halal American breakfast items. Finally, there is Alcaliente which has some halal Mexican breakfast options. I am really thankful that more halal non Indian/Pakistani places are offering breakfast, since I myself really don't like halwa puri.



Let The Experience Begin!
Fly By is located at the intersection of Wilson Rd and Atascosita Rd. It was really early in the morning, so it was no surprise that I was the only customer. I actually had my mind set at what I wanted to order. I had to decide the night before because I couldn't stay for long and had to be on time for the site visit.



Let's Eat!
I ordered the Super Burrito. The Super Burrito is a breakfast burrito consisting of sausage, turkey bacon, ground beef, chicken, hash brown, eggs, and cheddar cheese on a flour tortilla. Mind you, this place serves no pork and is 100% zabihah halal. I paid $6.48 for it. The waiting time was roughly 7 minutes. They give you a sauce to go with the breakfast burrito.



Menu: http://flybyburgers.com/our-menu/
Wow. Just wow. It's like a little bit of IHOP with the omelettes and pancakes (original only available), a little bit of a Mexican place with the breakfast burritos and the Tex-Mex burritos, and like a typical burger place with burgers. They even have breakfast plates and breakfast sandwiches! It was a very wonderful sight to see. Their wings options were good with many flavors to choose from (not on the menu but it's still available). Now despite all these options available, it all comes down to the taste.



Breakfast Burrito


The Verdict:
To keep it short, put the sauce on top. It made a huge difference. Without the sauce, the burrito wasn't good. The sauce fitted in with the other items, and the burrito was completely different. 



Conclusion:
Fly By definitely has potential to be a great restaurant and to be the main stop for halal American and Tex-Mex food in the northern part of Houston. I will definitely make another trip here and try their burger. But for the breakfast burrito, one major thing have to happen. You have to make your own salsa and then ask when someone is ordering whether they want salsa or not. This is because many people either enjoy with salsa or without salsa.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 7/10 (without the salsa, it would've been a 3/10)
Total: 15/20 = 75% (C)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Fly By
3103 Wilson Road, Humble, Texas 77396
Phone: (832) 644-5007
Website: http://flybyburgers.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FLY-BY-258298214531860/?surface=rese
Timings: Mon-Fri: 5:30 AM - 8 PM; Sat: 9:00 AM - 5 PM; Sun: Closed
Caters: Unknown

Feel free to comment below, send me an email, or message me on Facebook!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment