Wednesday, August 31, 2016

QUICK REVIEW: The Bark BBQ: Halal Texas BBQ is Back!

Establishment Name: The Bark BBQ
Locations: Thursdays: Westchase Farmer's Market (10503 Westheimer Rd, Houston, Texas), and Saturdays at Farmer's Market in Sugar Land
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of Visit: 8/4/16



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Welcome to my next quick review! Today I will be reviewing something that was desperately needed in Houston: Halal Texas BBQ! This place is called The Bark BBQ. This is actually the 4th BBQ place that I have tried. First one was Artis La Bonne BBQ back in 2014, second was Hungry Farmer also in 2014, and Chopped N Smoked BBQ last year. Although I never actually went to the Chopped N Smoked establishment, I tried them at the Halal Food Festival at Masjid Adel last year. Sadly, they closed down, and I had to wait until a new halal BBQ place came. Although this was open for a while, it was nearly impossible to try this place because it would always be far from where I lived. Thankfully, I got to try it because it was very near my work. After I got off, I went to try the place.



Let The Experience Begin!
The Westchase Farmer's Market is located in the parking lot of the church. You park the car, and then head to the stall where it is located. DIdn't wait for long, since I had already determined what I wanted to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered a 1/2 plate of brisket. I also got some pickles, onions, and bread. The price? $10 (no sales tax). Very similar to what you expect at Killen's in Pearland or Franklin's in Austin. To wait, I had a nice chat with the people selling. A huge plus is that when you get the food, you get to put as much BBQ sauce as you want. And they also let you take free samples (at least when I was there)



Menu: Very small. Based on their Facebook page, the menu is different on specific days. When I was there, they had brisket, chopped beef, and chicken. Later, they had smoked salmon, and earlier, they had beef sliders. I asked them about the ribs, they said that it is very expensive (which I agree with). They also cater, which is a major contribution to their revenue. The prices are similar to what you would expect at Killen's or Franklin's.



The 1/2 Brisket


The Verdict:
Fantastic. I really enjoyed the brisket and the BBQ sauce. Everything was fresh. Two thumbs up.



Conclusion:
No need to worry about Chopped N Smoked closing. Give this place a try! You'll definitely be able to enjoy some delicious halal BBQ once again!
There are a few things I will say. Do not complain about the prices being high, because BBQ is actually expensive. Don't be the sort of person that would complain about the prices here and then spend more money at a place like Olive Garden or Red Lobster. It's this thing that has caused Chopped N Smoked to go out of business. The owner himself said that he wish that it "had turned out better". Also, don't compare Texas BBQ with Indian/Pakistani BBQ, because each type of BBQ is unique and has different tastes. BBQ sauce doesn't go well with seekh kabab or chicken tikka. If these mentalities go away, then halal Texas BBQ can actually be successful and can last for long.

Grading:
Service: 10/10
Food: 10/10
Total: 20/20 = 100% (A)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
The Bark BBQ
Phone: (832) 282-4927
Website: none
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheBarkHalalBBQ/ (They are the most active on here, so liking their page is recommended. I have a picture of their business card. If you want it, you can email me)
Timings: Thu: 3 PM - 7 PM; Sun: unknown. I will find out whether they no longer go to the Farmer's Market in Sugar Land
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment