Saturday, February 24, 2018

Winbern Mess Hall: Two Food Trucks in One Building

Restaurant: Winbern Mess Hall
Address: 3701 Travis Street, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 2/14/18



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be writing about my experience at a place in the heart of Midtown: Winbern Mess Cafe. This place is basically the brick-and-mortar restaurant for two of Houston's many food trucks: Oh My Gogi (Korean) and Happy Endings. I was on Yelp looking up options for halal food. Then I saw them offer a halal chicken adobo dish. When I first saw pics of it, I thought that it was just a way to say that it's literally their version of the chicken over rice from the Halal Guys. I was wrong! It was legit chicken adobo, which is Filipino, with halal meat! I decided to give them a try after getting off work.



Let The Experience Begin!
The place is located on Travis and Winbern. A downside is that parking is very tight. I ended up paying for parking to eat in here (I paid $3). I was also the first customer of the day. The place seems to be very popular at night. They have both indoor and outdoor seating. The friendly guy was ready to take my order.



Let's Eat!
The halal chicken adobo was $8.65 (tax included). It's chicken adobo with spicy mayo and regular mayo, gochujang (spicy Korean red chili paste), garlic fried rice, and kimchi. I sat outside as it was pleasant and patiently waited for the food.



Menu: https://www.winbern.com/
Good news. You can use the halal chicken on any of the other chicken dishes! The food is a fusion of various Asian foods.



The Bowl. Small for $8.65 tbh


The Verdict:
Despite the small portion, the food was pretty decent. Service was great. The guy serving me was really nice! Food was washed down with water as well as a craft cola!



Conclusion:
Winbern Mess Hall is a good place to try food late night! It's a place that I wouldn't recommend for families due to the atmosphere, but it would be good to take friends!



Grading:
Service: 9/10
Food: 7.5/10
Total: 16.5/20 = 82.5%
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Winbern Mess Hall
3701 Travis Street, Houston, Texas
Phone: (281) 974-2952
Website: https://www.winbern.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WINBERNMESSHALL/
Timings: Tue-Sat: 12 PM - 2 AM; Sun-Mon: closed
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or email me!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment