Thursday, November 21, 2013

Third Coast Food Truck- My new go-to place on campus

Third Coast Food Truck
Various Locations across Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 11/21/13



Photo Credit: http://roaminghunger.com/img/trucks/original/52268fd1-8094-481c-889b-6cbc46204482.jpeg

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Another month, another new food truck! Instead of one, there are now TWO halal food trucks. The first one was Coreanos, which served a fusion of Mexican and Korean cuisine. This time, the food truck name is Third Coast Steak Sandwiches, which serves sandwiches. I was hungry and decided to take a break from studying for the Organic Chemistry exam. As I was walking down to Jimmy John's, I noticed there was a sign saying "Now serving halal chicken". I then immediately decided to come and try out this place and write this review up. 



Let The Experience Begin!
When they come to UH, Third Coast is located between the engineering building and Cemo hall. It runs a lot like Coreanos. Their locations vary between everyday, and the way to contact them is by social media. Thankfully the line was not long, so within 30 seconds I was ready to give my order.



Let's Eat!
I decided to make my own sandwich. I put chicken, provolone cheese, onions, and bell peppers. I did not get anything to drink as I had water with me. The price was somewhat higher than Coreanos: $8.50 (no tax). Once you do your order, they ask for you name so that when the food is ready, they would call you to get it. The waiting time was much quicker than Coreanos at 4 minutes and 5 seconds.



Menu (I apologize for the lack of quality of the pics):


Specialties and sides


The specials


At Third Coast, only the chicken is halal. The good part is that you can actually substitute any meat on the menu with the halal chicken. Bacon is also served, but the chicken is cooked separately. However, you can actually request them to not put the bacon in the sandwich. Unlike Coreanos, the halal chicken is served at every location that they are at. I asked the people about the halal beef, and they said that it was expensive for them. Like for their beef, they would have to charge the customers $11.50 for the sandwich. Kudos for their honesty. No alcohol is used in their cooking, so don't worry about the sauces that they put. The part where is said "Sold Out" is the cucumber salad.


My custom made sandwich


The verdict:
The reason the fork is there is because they served it as an open sandwich. Pretty interesting to be honest. You can even fold up the bread and eat it like a normal sandwich. Either way works because it was simply AMAZING! The chicken was very tender. I just love the ooze that the cheese displays on the bread. The onions and bell peppers made a perfect balance to the meat and cheese. It reminded me of the times I used to go and eat delicious chicken sandwiches in Saudi Arabia whenever I would go out with my parents. The bread was very crispy and flavorful, and when I made it into a sandwich, it didn't seem like I was just eating bread. Overall, two thumbs up.
The service was also really good. Everything was done with a nice smile. They even engaged in conversations with the customers and they were really friendly. 



Conclusion:
Another halal place at UH, another delicious meal! I am sure to be a regular whenever they are on campus. I will definitely recommend it to anyone that goes to UH. I wonder what other halal options UH will have in the near future.



Grading:
Service: 9/10
Food: 10/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Total: 29/30 = 96.7% (A)
Pricing: $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Third Coast Food Truck
Various Locations around Houston, Texas
Phone: (832) 589-7868
Website: None
Timings vary
Caters: No

Feel free to comment below

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment