Friday, April 18, 2014

CLOSED: Winetopia- Never Judge a Restaurant By It's Name

Restaurant: Winetopia
6363 San Felipe Street, Houston, Texas 77057
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of Visit: 4/16/14

Photo Credit: http://images.citysearch.net/assets/imgdb/merchant/2010/6/16/0/yiitjDDY124.jpeg

UPDATE 3/22/15: This place is now closed down. I think I can now safely say that I don't have to worry about being ripped off because I didn't know earlier about the price increase.

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I am reviewing a restaurant that has been open for a while, but has just started serving halal meat! The best part, the halal meat is steak! I had been waiting for this for a long time! The restaurant is called Winetopia. Now don't feel deceived by the name. It is not a wine cellar. It is an actual restaurant that has "Wine" on it. I got to go there during my 5.5 hours break from classes. I made sure that my work finished for the next day and then I set off for the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
The restaurant is located a few blocks after the Voss Rd. Intersection on San Felipe Rd. The steaks were being served as part of their Steak Night that is served on Wednesdays and Fridays. The ambiance inside is nice. The inside is like being at Kublai Khan but much smaller. I was the first customer for the day, so I was able to ask the owner about the halal steaks. He said that they get it from Jerusalem on Hillcroft, and that no alcohol is cooked in the food. After a while, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered a medium steak. It came with a size of potatoes. But one of the biggest shocks in my life came as I was ready to pay. According to their website, they had options for a $13.99 steak, and a $18.99 steak. It turns out that the $13.99 steak was no longer being served, and that the $18.99 steak increased to $23.99! I paid a grand total of $25.96 (tax included), breaking Fadi's record for most expensive review. They themselves have said that they haven't updates their website. Had I found out earlier, I would not have gone at that time. I would have gone when my budget wasn't short.



Menu: Well since the restaurant hasn't updated their menu, I cannot post their menu on their website. They have different food besides the wine though. Check the board.


Steak with mashed potatoes


Despite the changes in prices, the steak was filling and very delicious! Medium is my favorite temperature for steak, while my family usually prefers well-done (a.k.a. dry steak). The mashed potatoes were nice and flavorful. The food was washed down with a glass of water.
The service was OK. Before coming here, I messaged them on Facebook about the halal steak, and they had confirmed that I ordered it. I just didn't like the fact that I had to pay a lot of money from my wallet.



Conclusion:
Winetopia is something that you should try. If you feel agitated by the presence of alcohol (no it is not a bar), just get takeout. If you want to eat halal steak and if you don't live in Sugar Land, this is the only place. Only come for special occasions as it is expensive.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 9.5/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Overall: 27.5/30 = 91.67% (A)
Pricing: $$$$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Winetopia
6363 San Felipe Street, Houston, Texas 77057
Phone: (832) 858-1149
Website: http://winetopiatx.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/winetopia
Twitter: https://twitter.com/WinetopiaTexas
Timings: Mon-Thu: 4 PM - 12 AM; Fri-Sat: 4 PM - 2 AM; Sun: closed
Caters: No

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed






No comments:

Post a Comment