Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet- Not the Best Arab Food out there, but Decent

Restaurant: Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet
5160 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77056
Buffet or a-la-carte: Buffet:
Date of Visit: 4/14/14



Photo Credit: https://veganaustin.org/picture.php?show&id=4824


Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I am reviewing a vintage restaurant. A vintage restaurant is a restaurant that has been open since the time I moved to Houston from Saudi Arabia. This time, it is Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet. It is actually well known throughout the Houston area. There are four locations around Houston, and one each in Austin and Dallas. This reviews the Richmond Avenue location. Out of all the Mediterranean restaurants I have been to, I have never been to a Mediterranean buffet. Normally you order it a-la-carte or cafeteria style. I wanted to see whether the buffet was actually worth going for. My 11 AM class got cancelled today because the teacher was busy, so I was free until 5:30 PM! I left my house very late and unfortunately got in the middle of a very bad storm. I then decided to buy an umbrella after eating here. This was the nearest halal restaurant (I was on I-610). After driving through countless puddles, I finally arrived at the restaurant. 



Let The Experience Begin!
As soon as I went in, I saw that it was like Jamillah garden. All there was was a buffet. And judging by the stuff, it seems like that's the only things they make. There were many tables that were present in the dining area. So I was ready to eat.



Let's Eat! 
I went for the buffet. The buffet consisted salads, appetizers, and entrees. The salads include: Greek, Fattoush, and Tabouli. The Appetizers included zaatar, falafel, baba ghanouj, and many sauces. The entrees included Matlube, Rice with lentils, Okra, Bean stew, eggplant, shredded beef, kafta kabab, potatoes, chicken kabab, fish, grilled chicken, and fried chicken. You also get a free drink. For all this, I paid a total of $10.89 (tax included). Here, you pay first, and then you choose the food.



Believe it or not, these are the things that are featured on the buffet. They make nothing else unless it is like this. I'm surprised to see that they do not have shawarma. Oh, and if you excessively waste your food, then they charge you.


Buffet: shredded beef, grilled chicken, kafta kabab, yogurt sauce, potatoes, Greek salad, and Maklube


The Verdict:
The food was decent, but it was not the best Arab food out there. I did not like the grilled chicken and the shredded beef. They could definitely use some more flavor. The maklube, kafta kabab, and the yogurt sauce was good though. The food was washed down with a few glasses of water.
Besides the fact that they charge you for excessively wasting food, there was nothing good about the service. All they do is get the payments for the buffet and that's it.



Conclusion:
Dimassi's reminds me of many buffet restaurants I have been to in my life, where the people just focus on buffet food everyday. But compared to other buffet restaurants, this was was at least decent. If you are in the Galleria area and want some really good food, I would suggest you try somewhere else. But you can come here, since it is cheaper than other Mediterranean restaurants.



Grading:
Service: 7/10
Food: 7.5/10
Overall: 14.5/20 = 72.5% (C) (Lowest among Mediterranean restaurants)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet
5160 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77056
Phone: (713) 439-7481
Website: http://www.dimassi.com/home.html
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dimassis/160750200609062
Timings: Sun-Thu: 11 AM - 9 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 10 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment