Friday, December 30, 2016

Abu Omar Halal Food Truck: Finally Found a Good Regular Shawarma Spot

Food Truck: Abu Omar Halal Food Truck
Address: 2116 Fry Road, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/5/16

UPDATE 11/5/2018: They have a new concept out called Abu Omar Halal Kababs. They are located at 8621 Westheimer. I organized a blogger tasting there for about 10 people. It was a monumental success. We pretty much tried food from the whole menu. The top ones were definitely the beef arayes, shish tawouk plate, and the burger.

UPDATE 8/21/17: They are opening up a location in College Station on University Boulevard.

UPDATE 5/6/17: They now have a location in Sugar Land. They have now 7 locations all over Houston. After eating it a few times, I can safely say that this is the best shawarma I've had since moving to the United States. Even my own family were mind blown over the quality and taste of the food.

UPDATE 2/6/17: I went back and tried their Shawarma Arabi, and it was absolutely mind-blowing. Easily one of the best shawarmas I've had since moving to the US. They are also opening up a location in Cypress on 290 and Spring Cypress Road. I am really looking forward to trying it.

UPDATE: Their Katy location is now at 1810 Fry Road. They also have a location in Webster at 580 Eldorado Road.

Background:
Salam/hey guys! On this day, I tried Abu Omar Halal Food Truck. I heard a lot about this place, and about how great their shawarmas are. They've been open since my days at UH, but I never got to try them. My interest in trying them spiked when their Katy truck first started operating. I had time before my next class, so I decided to go.



Let The Experience Begin!
At the time of the visit, the food truck was located near the Fort Stanton Drive location. I parked, and went to order the food.



Let's Eat!
I ordered a regular chicken shawarma. I got it with vegetables. Price? $6.50. Waiting time? About 6 minutes.



Menu: http://abuomarhalal.com/menu.html
It's mainly the usual Mediterranean fare, but on a food truck. No mixed grill though. One thing that's different than Gyro King at the Medical Center location is that they have drinks for sale.



The Chicken Shawarma
The Verdict:
The shawarma was really good. However, there were some vegetables missing, though the menu on Facebook said that those vegetables were included as well. The missing of the vegetables were indicative of the service. It seemed like the ordering process was rushed. Nevertheless, good stuff.


Conclusion:
Despite the mess-up on the vegetables, Abu Omar still has a solid shawarma. I would definitely come back to try the other items. I would also recommend you to give this place a try. A huge perk is that they are open until late in all locations.



Grading:
Food: 8/10 (Would've been graded higher if all the vegetables were in there)
Service: 6/10
Total: 14/20 = 70% (C)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information (Current Katy location)
Abu Omar Halal
1810 Fry Road, Katy, Texas
Phone: (832) 929-9339
Website: none
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Abu-omar-halal-103499869990386/?fref=ts (really important to save this page as they are active on here)
Instagram: instagram.com/abu_omar_halal (I suggest you follow them as they are very active on here)
Timings: Daily 11 AM - 3 AM
Caters: yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me a message!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment