Friday, December 9, 2016

Louisiana Fried Chicken: Good Chicken Average Sides

Restaurant: Louisiana Famous Fried Chicken
Address: 2001 Fannin Street, Houston, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 9/21/16

UPDATE 8/21/17: The same owners have a new location at FM 1464 and Bellaire near Aliana. Went and got two pieces with a friend a few weeks back. We enjoyed the chicken.

Background:
Salam/hey guys! This review will consist of another addition to the halal fried chicken scene in Houston: Louisana Famous Fried Chicken. For the past 5 years, there has been a boom in the availability of halal fried chicken among the major chain restaurants across America. In the Houston area, this is the fourth chain restaurant to feature halal chicken. This however is the first one to have a FULLY halal menu, including the sides. At KFC (now only the FM 529 location), only the bone-in chicken and some of the sides are halal. At Church's Chicken (only halal location is now in Pearland), only the bone-in was halal, like KFC. Finally at Frenchy's at the Beltway and Richmond, all the chicken was halal, but only two sides. This is also the only chain to have more than one halal location (the other halal location is on Veterans Memorial)
Now I know about this place for two reasons: 1) the heavy promotion of it on Facebook, and 2) me receiving an email from them about trying it out. Now I got to go here because of a contest that was taking place by Sister Sadaf of "My Culinary Adventures" (website: http://www.sadafsculinaryadventures.com/). I participated in it and won $25 worth of food. So before heading for my 6 PM class, I decided to go there.



Let The Experience Begin!
The restaurant is located right next to I-45 on Fannin. It's very tricky to get to the restaurant if you're not coming from UH, where you have to turn onto St Joseph or Pease from I-45 to get to Fannin, or from downtown, where you have to just turn onto Fannin. Oh, and if you're not in the left most lane at the Pierce intersection, good luck trying to turn around. It's a pain in the butt. Once you get inside, you don't feel as if you're in a normal fast food place. It was sparkling clean. I then got a message on Snapchat from my friend asking if he could come along. I said yes (BIG MISTAKE). At the last minute, they said they couldn't make it. So I decided to make the order



Let's Eat!
I ordered dirty rice, fried chicken with bread rolls, a cup of gumbo, and coleslaw. The fried chicken was enough to share with everyone. It was also filling. So $20 for that amount of food was a good bargain.



Menu: https://www.facebook.com/pg/lfcfannin/menu/?p_ref=pa&ref=page_internal
Not only is there fried chicken, there are Cajun options as well such as gumbo and jambalaya! It was nice to see that there was a halal version of dirty rice, since it usually contains pork. I find it interesting how they have fried rice on the menu.



The Verdict:
The chicken is really good. We really enjoyed it. The gumbo was good as well. The dirty rice and the coleslaw could have been better. No complaints about the service at the restaurant. I appreciate them for being patient.



Conclusion:
Louisiana Fried Chicken has great chicken. They also have a halal location at Veterans Memorial Drive. I'd visit this location again for the fried chicken and also try their jambalaya. I hope they get more halal locations.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 8/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Louisiana Fried Chicken
2001 Fannin Drive, Houston, Texas 77002
Phone: (713) 497-5545
Website: none. They have a national website, but none specifically for the Houston location
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lfcfannin/
Timings: Mon-Fri: 10:30 AM - 11 PM; Sat & Sun: 11 AM - 11 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment