Wednesday, December 9, 2015

TEMP CLOSED: Afghan Cuisine: Great Afghan food

Restaurant: Afghan Cuisine
Address: 11920 South Highway 6, Sugar Land, TX 77498
Buffet or a-la-carte: a-la-carte
Date of visit: 11/21/15

UPDATE 1/17/17: This place has been temporarily closed for the reconstruction of their kitchen.

Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be reviewing another Afghan restaurant here in Houston: Afghan Cuisine. So my parents decided that we would go out for dinner after shopping at the Houston Premium Outlets instead of waiting for my mom to cook dinner. I was kinda against the idea, since it would usually mean a trip to either Khan BBQ or Saravanaa Bhavan. To my pleasant surprise, they actually decided to go here since they heard a lot of good things about the place. This is literally the first time since August that the entire family would be eating somewhere other than the two places I mentioned above. For once, I was actually happy about going to a restaurant with my family. Most of the places that I have been to and written up about in this blog have been either by myself or with friends. This is mainly due to the fact that my family is picky about their food. I tried countless times trying to convince them to go together to Stanton's for lunch whenever my dad is off from work, but he always says no saying that he doesn't like eating that sort of food. Before I started my blog, I tried convincing them to try other Indian/Pakistani places out wherever we were. But they would end up getting Khan BBQ. No matter where they were in town, they would always make a phone call and either order the chicken karahi, chicken biryani, chappli kabab (which is the only good thing to eat there) and their naan. The last three outings we had as a family were to Saravanaa Bhavan, where the other three family members ordered THE EXACT SAME THING EVERY SINGLE VISIT. I still remember that on the 2nd consecutive visit (1st was for aunt from Kansas who is literally obsessed with that place, 3rd for sister's birthday), my mom and sister chose to go there instead of grabbing some chocolate and pastries from La Madeleine. It really made me upset because I love their chocolate croissant, regular croissant, and their Sacher Torte Parfait. I had been looking forward to that the whole day. Anyways, we went shopping at the Premium Outlets and then headed to the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
Afghan Cuisine is located at the intersection of Highway 6 and Voss Rd. in Sugar Land. It's in the same strip mall as Cafe Yasmeen and Agha Juice. The inside was packed, mainly because there was a party going on. We still had to wait for a table to be free when we got in. My dad made sure that the table was immaculate. We then went to the table, got the menus, and were ready to order.



Let's Eat!
We ordered a variety of Afghan food for dinner. We ordered Bolani (flatbread appetizer with potatoes and onions), borani badenjan (an eggplant appetizer), Kabuli Pulao (because you can't go to an Afghan place and not try Afghanistan's famous dish), chicken kabab, bread, and chopan kabab (lamb chops). We got our food in just under 19 minutes. Way to be efficient!



Menu: The menu is like other Afghan places in town. You have a wide variety of kababs, Kabuli Pulao, and curries. Compared to Afghan Village and Afghan Dastarkhwan, Afghan Cuisine has very similar prices with differences being around just $1.



Appetizers, Soup & Salad, and Vegetarian Dishes


Entrees


Kababs, Desserts, and Beverages


Menu Cover



The Verdict:
All four of us enjoyed the food! I really liked the Kabuli Pulao. I thought it was better than Afghan Dastarkhwan and it is as good as the one from Afghan Village. The kababs were also really tasty and flavorful. They were also as good as Afghan Village. The decision to go somewhere other than Khan BBQ or Saravanaa Bhavan definitely paid off! We all had water to go with the food. Two thumbs up for the food.
The service was nothing to write about. It was normal, like what you would expect.




Conclusion:
Afghan Cuisine is just as good as Afghan Village to be very honest. It's also really filling. We just had enough so that I could have ice cream from Agha's next door and my mom could have a falooda. I would definitely recommend this place for those looking for a good halal Afghan place in Sugar Land.



Grading: 
Food: 9/10
Service: 7/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information: 
Afghan Cuisine
11920 South Highway 6, Sugar Land, TX 77498
Phone: (281) 879-0945
Website: none
Timings: Sun-Thu: 11:30 AM - 10 PM; Fri & Sat: 12 PM - 11 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment