Sunday, October 20, 2013

CLOSED: Cafe Pita- It's fame lives up

Restaurant- Cafe Pita
5506 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77056
A-la-carte or buffet? A-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/19/13


Photo Credit: (http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/YuHMLDU6wHCZ6BphplaPgw/l.jpg)


UPDATE 11/26/2018: The place has been closed since 2016. 
Background:
Salam/hello guys! Today I will be reviewing one restaurant franchise that is very unique. Why is it so unique? Because it serves Bosnian food! The restaurant is called Cafe Pita, and they have locations on Westheimer Road and Richmond Avenue! What is also unique about this restaurant is that it was featured on national TV! This restaurant was featured on the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on Food Network. The host of the show was famous Chef Guy Fieri. He showcased the restaurant for having a cuisine that was not the norm. He said he really liked the food! Judging on that, I decided to give this place a try. After confirming with the staff that the meat was halal, I set off from my Chemistry Lab and arrived at the restaurant.



Let The Experience Begin!
Getting into Cafe Pita is like a maze. There is no entrance from Richmond Avenue into the parking lot. When I was driving, I thought there was one, but it turned out to be the entrance to a car mechanic store. To get in, you have to turn onto Barrington road, and then turn into the parking lot. The inside was dark. There were no lights on. Most of the light came from the sun's rays from outside. The local radio was playing in the restaurant, and there was a TV that was promoting tourism in Bosnia and Herzegovina. When I came in, there was no one. I first wondered whether I should sit down and wait for someone to help me. Then came the waiter. Ironically, he was the only person that was waiting tables. So I will cut him some slack. He then directed me to a window side table and then gave me the menu.



Let's Eat!
The menu came with items that were labeled "Guy's Favorite". It seems like the restaurant is very proud of the fact that a famous celebrity chef came to their restaurant and had their food. Nonetheless, it was a very interesting menu, and it gave a nice description of what the dish contained. To drink, I had Pepsi with free refills. To eat, I had Hadzijski Cevap, which is cevap (Bosnian sausage) and beef kabab sauteed in a tomato sauce. It came with lepinja bread (Serbian flatbread) and kajmak, which is a condiment that is a mixture of cream cheese, butter, sour cream, feta cheese, and milk. I paid a total of $12.97 (tax included). The waiting time was really fast at 4 minutes and 47 seconds. Regarding the soda, the price is $1.99, but the free refills mean that I would not mind paying that much for it. If it had been a can, then I would not be happy.



Menu:
The menu mainly has traditional Bosnian delicacies. Although it is not on the website. here is also a mixed grill available for $19.99. In that mixed grill are 10 cevaps, a pljeskavice (Bosnian patty), and kababs (beef and chicken).
Starters
Soup and Salads
Pizza
Sandwiches
Entrees
Desserts


Nice glass of Pepsi


Hadzijski Cevap


The Verdict:
Whatever Guy Fieri said about this restaurant was absolutely correct. It was delicious! The tomato sauce was perfect and was very flavorful. The cevap, regarded to be Bosnia's national dish, was tantalizing. The taste was very unique from other similar sausages that I have had. I now have had kababs from 5 other countries, and most use different techniques. In India and Pakistan, chili and seeds are used. In Iran, chopped parsley and onions are used. In Turkey, there are so many different types of kababs, where some use chili and some use herbs. Now in Bosnia, garlic and onion are used to give the cevap the taste. This one definitely hit the spot. The beef kabab was also very delicious, despite coming as a few chunks. The lepinja was very fluffy and fresh, and the kajmak was very tasty with the lepinja. All the food was washed down with a nice glass of Pepsi.



Conclusion:
Cafe Pita definitely lived up to its reputation of being a popular restaurant. I think Guy Fieri must have enjoyed the food. Because I definitely did. I will be definitely coming here often and trying out their other Bosnian dishes. I would recommend anyone who want to stay away from the usual Indian/Pakistani or Mediterranean food. Trust me, you will come out a fan of Bosnian food, like I did.



Grading:
Service: 9/10
Food: 10/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Total: 29/30 = 96.6% (A)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$


Restaurant Information:
Cafe Pita
5506 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77056
Phone: (832) 530-4935
Timings: Mon - Thu & Sun: 11 AM - 9 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM
Caters? Yes

Cafe Pita on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOUW0lnUrEs

Feel free to comment below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment