Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halal Wok- Not The Best Chinese Restaurant Out There

Restaurant: Halal Wok
5680 Hillcroft Street, Houston, Texas 77036
Buffet or a-la-carte? A-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/23/13


Photo Credit (http://places1.assets.gotime.com/5f3f538e338c7696e3708dd9cac0fa1c59e1a439_l.jpg)


Background:
Salam/hello guys! For the second consecutive day, I am reviewing a restaurant! While yesterday I reviewed Biryani Pot, today I am reviewing Halal Wok, a Chinese restaurant. Halal Wok is also another restaurant that has been around since I moved to Houston. For 7 years, I would always pass by this place and hardly go inside. Halal Wok is located in the same strip mall as Busy Boy. Today I got out at 11 AM from class! I had forgotten my lunch from home, so I was hungry. I was not in the mood of eating on campus because just yesterday at a club meeting I had delicious McAlister's vegetarian sandwich. M&M Grill is reserved for Saturday because I am taking a friend with me. With regards to money, I could not spend over $10. It has been a while since I actually ate real Chinese food. The last time I ate was at Inchin Bamboo Garden in Cleveland, Ohio, where the food tasted like vomit (Review found here). So I was hoping that this would be a vast improvement from that time. So after driving smoothly on the highway, I arrived.



Let The Experience Begin!
Halal Wok is located in the same strip mall at Busy Boy. You can park anywhere in the strip mall parking lot and eat at the restaurant. Inside, it was very simple. White walls with curtain, and a TV playing CNN. There was only one person working the counter today. Ironically for most of the time I was the only customer! Other people came in near the phase where I finish the last of my meal. There were things that were listed on the board. I read the board and decided to order.



Let's Eat!
I decided to take the lunch special. Basically, I get a meat/seafood dish with rice and an egg roll. The dish I got was beef pepper steak, which is stir fried beef with onions, soy sauce, and green bell peppers. I asked them to make it spicy. To drink, I got my usual can of Pepsi. Altogether, I paid $7.56 (tax included). The waiting time was around 4 minutes, and the food was actually freshly made! From the table, I could hear the cooking of the various dishes. Oh, and one more thing. When you order, you first order then pay. Then after you finish eating, you just get up and leave.



Menu:
Menu Cover

Soups, Appetizers, Fried Rice, and Noodles


Diet Dishes, Vegetarian, Chicken

Beef, Shrimp, and Egg Foo Young (Chinese Omelette)

American Favorites and Chef's Specialties

Specials, Desserts,  and Drinks

Beef Pepper Steak, Fried Rice, Egg Roll, Pepsi



The Verdict:
The food mostly ranged from bad to mediocre. The only good part was the egg roll. It was very scrumptious and it had a lot of flavor. The fried rice could use some more soy sauce whenever it is cooked to improve from its mediocre taste. The bad part of the dish was the beef pepper steak. While the vegetables were fresh and had taste, the brown sauce was tasteless. There was definitely too much brown sauce in the dish. The beef was nothing to brag about either. Whenever I would mix the rice and the beef pepper steak, there would only be taste in the rice. The plate was drained by a refreshing cup of Pepsi. Overall, a thumb up for the egg roll and a thumb down for the beef pepper steak.



Conclusion:
Well, there are definitely better Chinese places in Houston. I will say, however, that this is much better than Inchin Bamboo Garden. It would have been better if the beef pepper steak had some taste in it. Overall, I would not recommend this place if you want to find a good Chinese restaurant and dine in. I know I will be waiting.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 5/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Overall: 23/30 = 76.7% (C)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Halal Wok
5680 Hillcroft Street, Houston, Texas 77036
Phone: (713) 954-9595
Website: None
Facebook: None
Timings: Sun-Thu: 11 AM - 10 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 11 PM
Caters: Yes

Feel Free to Comment Below!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment