Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Euro Bakery & Cafe- A Taste of Greece in Houston

Restaurant- Euro Bakery and Cafe
5010 Louetta Road, Spring, Texas 77379
Buffet or a-la-carte? A-la-carte
Date of visit: 10/15/13




UPDATE 12/2/13: Their Sunday business hours is 11 AM - 6 PM. And they hold cooking classes as well. Check their Facebook for more updates.


UPDATE 11/21/13: According to their Facebook, they will start being open on Sundays from December 1st. The opening and closing times have not been confirmed yet. I will get back to you on that.


ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Background:
Salam/hello guys! Eid Mubarak to everyone! And even though it is Eid, I am still reviewing a restaurant! Today, the restaurant is Euro Bakery and Cafe. While the name is "Euro", it actually serves Greek food, the first fully halal Greek restaurant in Houston. Normally, Eid meals are eaten with the whole family, but, both my parents were working, my sister had to go to high school, and I had to go to UH. Thankfully, I only went for a few hours. Although I live in Cypress, I drove all the way to Spring to eat here. The reason why I drove up to Spring was because I had to get my car serviced at the dealer that I bought it from, which was located near the intersection of I-45 and Louetta Road. Although it is a 45 minute drive from my house, I still got my car from there because there were really good deals going on for 2013 Camry models. In fact, this was the closest halal restaurant to the dealership. I was really getting hungry as I did not eat anything after the Eid prayer. So before I gave my car for servicing, I decided to try this restaurant, and see what Greek food was like.



Let The Experience Begin!
Euro Bakery and Cafe is located at a strip mall on Louetta Road just after the Kuykendahl Road signal. Inside, it is very different. It feels like I am in a house with the living room converted to the tables. There was even a staircase, similar to what you find at a normal house. The ambiance was very nice. The restaurant was very bright and lively. It also gave a nice view of Louetta Road. Right when you enter, there are displays of these appetizing cakes and Greek desserts. The cashier desk looked like it came out right from the kitchen of the house. It had everything you would expect in a kitchen except the stove. The owner greeted me and proceeded me to the table with the menu ready. I was really interested in the cakes, so I asked him which cakes they were. He was very nice enough to tell me which one. After 5 minutes, I was ready to order.



Let's Eat!
I ordered one skewer of exotic chicken souvlaki. For dessert, I ordered a slice of chocolate decadence cake after seeing the display. Souvlaki is basically the Greek version of shawarma. Like the shawarma, there's an option of sandwich or plate. But the main difference is that while the shawarma is cooked on a vertical broiler, souvlaki is cooked on a skewer. So basically in the souvlaki sandwich, there are chunks of meat meat the usual condiments, while the shawarma has sliced meat and the condiments. The same applied to the plate, which I had ordered. The exotic chicken souvlaki came with tzatziki sauce, rice, tomatoes, and onions. The owner was nice enough to let me have the cake after I finished the souvlaki. To drink, I had water, which was free and had free refills. Overall, I paid $15.23 (tax included), which was a great price. The waiting time was very good at 19 minutes and 36 seconds, even though the menu said that it would take 20-25 minutes for the grilled entrees to get ready.


Menu: They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are separate menus for cakes, cookies, pastries & pies, and specialty drinks.
Cakes (price is $5.19 for one slice): http://www.eurobakery-cafe.com/blog/cakes


Exotic Chicken Souvlaki plate


Devoured!


Chocolate decadence cake


The Verdict:
It was delicious! Thankfully the food was made fresh, not microwaved. The best parts of the meal were the chicken, the tzatziki sauce, and the chocolate decadence cake. The chicken was cooked perfectly and perfectly spiced. The tzatziki sauce was fresh, and it was a perfect condiment. The chocolate decadence cake reminded me of my childhood, where I used to go to a dessert shop called Saadeddin Sweets in Saudi Arabia and eat their chocolate cake. Never was I ever disappointed by the quality of that cake. This slice was the closest to that so far here in Houston. This cake was definitely one of the best cakes that I have ever had in my life. Thus as a proud chocoholic, I strongly approve this cake. On the flip side, the rice could be a little more spicy. Maybe a little bit of olive oil or half a tablespoon of lemon juice would make it perfect. This wonderful meal was drained down by a nice big glass of water. Overall, two thumbs up!



Conclusion:
If you want to know what Greek food is like, or if you want to eat some delicious dessert, then this place is perfect for you! They know how to make really delicious food and cake. They are also willing to help you whenever you have any questions. Like for example, if you want to know the difference between Mediterranean food and Greek food, they would actually take the time to explain it to you. I will definitely come back and visit whenever I come to Spring to get my car serviced.



Grading:
Service: 10/10
Food: 9/10
Waiting Time: 10/10
Total: 29/30 = 96.6% (A)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$ 



Restaurant Information:
Euro Bakery & Cafe
5010 Louetta Road, Spring, Texas 77379
Phone: (281) 257-3023
Timings: Mon-Sat: 10 AM - 9 PM; Sun: closed
Caters: Yes


Feel free to comment below!

Cheers! 
Zain Mohammed


No comments:

Post a Comment