Monday, December 31, 2018

December 2018 Roundup

Salam/hey guys! Sorry I have been busy yet again. Here's a roundup of the places I've tried in December 2018.

This month started out with a trip to Austin. There, I tried two places: Kismet Cafe and Halal Bros. Both places have a strong reputation for their NY Style over Rice. Kismet cafe is location just outside downtown Austin on E 41st street near its intersection at I-35. I got their mix over rice with both sauces (which is what I usually get when I go to Gyro King back in Houston). The price? Only $8.65 (Tax included). Kismet Cafe also offers Mediterranean BBQ plates, salads, and wraps, and everything is under $10!.
The food was on point. The meats were well cooked and the rice was flavorful. A good start.

Mix over rice with both sauces

Service: 8/10
Food: 8/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$

Address: 1000 E 41st Street, Austin, TX
Phone: (512) 236-1811
Timings: Sun-Wed: 11 AM - 1 AM; Thu-Sat: 11 AM - 3 AM
Caters: Yes


Before heading back to Houston, I went and checked out Halal Bros, which was near the UT Campus. The first thing that I noticed is that the place has a huge parking problem. The inside was packed. It was no surprise to me, given how the place always has so much hype from folks in Austin as well as Houston. Like Kismet, I ordered their combo over rice. Like Kismet, the pricing was $8.65 (Tax included) and you get a lot of food for that price. But this place doesn't offer BBQ plates. 
When I got the food, I felt that they were skimpy with the sauces. But that's just me I guess, since I'm used to Gyro King dousing their plates with both sauces. In the platter, the white sauce and the gyro meat were on point. However, the chicken could've been much better. They have a truck on 7th Street as well as two other stores throughout Austin.

Combo over rice from Halal Bros

After trying the same dish at both places, I'd say Kismet takes the edge because of the chicken.

Service: 8/10
Food: 7/10
Total: 15/20 = 75% (C)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$

Address: 2712 Guadalupe Stree, Austin, TX
Phone: (512) 284-8105
Website: http://www.thehalalbros.com/
Menu: https://mavn.is/halalbros/
Timings: Mon-Thu: 11 AM - 11 PM; Fri-Sat: 11 AM - 3 AM; Sun: 12 PM - 11 PM
Caters: Yes


The first place I visited after the trip was an Indian restaurant called Godavari. Godavari is another Indian restaurant chain that has locations all over the country. They offer  The inspiration of this trip was my mother. She really wants to try the place out after hearing good things about the place. I went during my lunch break from work.
For lunch, they do a buffet. One side is vegetarian, and another side is non vegetarian. I went for the non vegetarian side. It's more focused on South Indian food. To drink, I got a Thums-Up. All the meat is halal here.

The food was honestly average as a whole. The only plus point in the whole buffet was the butter chicken, and that is a north Indian dish.


The Buffet Plate: dum biryani, butter chicken, selam chicken, raita, gongura fried chicken, and gongura kodi kabab. The items available change daily

Service: 8/10
Food: 5/10
Total: 13/20 = 65% (D)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$

Address: 28092 Westheimer Street, Houston, TX
Phone: (832) 581-2922
Website: https://www.godavarius.com/houston/
Menu: https://www.godavarius.com/food-menu-south-indian-food-menu/
Timings: Mon-Fri: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM and 5:30 PM to 10 PM; Sat-Sun: 12 PM - 3:30 PM and 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Caters: Yes


Happy New Year!

Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment