Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Shibam: Yemeni Food in Chicagoland

Restaurant: Shibam
Address: 9052 Harlem Avenue, Bridgeview, IL
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of visit: 11/22/18 (Thanksgiving Day)



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today I will be talking about my experience at one of Chicago's most respected Yemeni spots: Shibam Restaurant. Shibam has two locations: one near Devon Avenue, and one in Bridgeview (South Cook County). I spent my thanksgiving break from work in Chicago with my aunt and grandma. Since I was staying in Burr Ridge, which is in southern DuPage county, I decided to check out the south location. I was hoping that the South location would be as good as what many folks said about the north location. So when I had some free time, I headed to I-55 and headed there.


Let The Experience Begin!
Shibam is located in a strip complex near the intersection of US 80 and W 90th Place, not too far from I-294. When I came in, I was confused. I didn't know whether to order at the counter or sit down then order. So I sat down. A few minutes later, I was given the menu. Thus, you have to sit down and then order.



Let's Eat!
I decided to go with the lamb haneeth, which is basically roasted lamb with rice. They had a $11.99 deal, so I decided to take it. I also got muttabaq. It was actually my first time having it since moving here from Saudi! I also got some to go for my parents to give it a try. While waiting for the food, which is a while since haneeth is a slow cooking process, I got free soup. A nice touch.


Menu: https://us.orderspoon.com/shibamsouth
This spot has popular Yemeni food such as mandi, Zorbian, and Fahsa (a meat stew). They even have breakfast options such as fuul, fasolia, and shakshuka. I thought it was reasonably priced to be honest.
The Free Soup


Lamb Haneeth


Chicken Muttabaq




The Verdict:
The food was incredible. The haneeth was very tender and flavorful, and so was the muttabaq. The soup was also very satisfactory. Given the hype that I saw about this place before hitting the road, I didn't regret coming on a day like Thanksgiving day. Two thumbs up for the food. 
Now one thing to keep in mind in regards to the service. There is somewhat of a language barrier. You just have to be patient when speaking to them.




Conclusion:
The reviews of the spots that I visited on this trip to Chicago started out with a bang from Shibam. I can tell you that regardless of the waiting time that some may be annoyed about, the food would make up for it. But, if you expect it to taste like biryani after seeing the pics, don't go there. I'll be back in the future, and hopefully in the north location! I also hope a full fledged Yemeni restaurant will open up in Houston, or anywhere in Texas in the future.


Grading:
Service: 7/10
Food: 9/10
Total: 16/20 = 80% (B)
Pricing: $ out of $$$$

Restaurant Information:
Shibam
Address: 9052 Harlem Avenue, Bridgeview, IL
Phone: (872) 215-9665
Website: http://shibam.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShibamRest/
Timings: 24/7
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or email me!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment