Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Moroccan Bites Tagine: Moroccan Food in the Alamo City

Restaurant: Moroccan Bites Tagine
Address: 5714 Evers Road, San Antonio, Texas
Buffet or a-la-carte: A-la-carte
Date of latest visit: 7/7/19


Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today, I will be writing about my first halal restaurant experience in San Antonio! It's in fact the first time in five tries that I finally got to check one place out. The reason for that is because of the fact that the halal restaurants in San Antonio are concentrated in the northwest part of town, particularly near UTSA (University of Texas San Antonio), and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. With the exception of dessert spots, there's literally nothing that is halal in the Riverwalk or Alamo area. But I did come close once, to the spot that I am writing about: Moroccan Bites Tagine. I came with my family back in 2014, and was planning on going there. Unfortunately, they were closed for the night, so we had to go somewhere else. So I had to go again. I was originally going to try Turquoise Grill, but they had closed down. After the drive from Houston, it was time to grub.



Let The Experience Begin!
Moroccan Bites Tagine is located in the strip mall at the intersection of Evers Rd and Wurzbach Road. I was one of the first customers for the day. The inside was very nice. I was handed the menu and browsed it before ordering.



Let's Eat!
Based on the suggestions from folks who've been there, I got the lamb shank with vegetables tagine. It comes with either Moroccan bread or rice (I chose bread). The price is $13.99 + tax. To wait, I browsed on the phone


Menu: https://moroccanbitestagine.com/our-menu/
The menu has many Moroccan staples such as pastilla, couscous (select days only), and merguez sausage. They also have lamb madghout, which is similar to lamb kabsa from Saudi. It was featured on Food Network's TV Show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. Along with the Moroccan staples, they have items such as chicken kabab and kefta kabab.


The Lamb Shank with Vegetables Tagine.


The Moroccan Bread


The Verdict:
The 5 year wait was well worth it. The tagine was amazing. The sauce in the tagine was bursting in flavor. The lamb was very succulent and fresh, and the vegetables were on point. The bread was great as well. The food was washed down with water. Overall, two thumbs up. No problems with the service.



Conclusion:
It's definitely worth venturing out to Moroccan Bites from the Riverwalk if you're visiting from San Antonio. The food is great, and the inside is also really nice. I'd definitely come back and try their other tagines, as well as their merguez.



Grading:
Service: 8/10
Food: 9/10
Total: 17/20 = 85% (B)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Moroccan Bites Tagine
5714 Evers Road, San Antonio, Texas
Phone: (210) 706-9700
Timings: Mon, Wed, and Thu: 11:30 AM to 9 PM; Fri and Sat: 11:30 AM to 11 PM; Sun: 12 PM to 9 PM; Tue Closed
Caters: Yes

Feel free to comment below, send me an email, or message me on Facebook!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed



No comments:

Post a Comment