Saturday, February 23, 2019

Raja's Curry Kitchen and Grill - Off to Louisiana We Geaux

Restaurant: Raja's Curry Kitchen and Grill
Address: 3821 Ryan Street, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Buffet or a-la-carte: Buffet
Date of latest visit: 2/19/19



Background:
Salam/hey guys! Today, it's time to mark a new state that would indicate where I've done a review from! It's the first one that is new since 2016, when Illinois and Georgia were added. While I am based in Houston, I still do review halal spots in other parts of the country (international soon to come). The state in question is none other than out neighbor to the East: Louisiana. And where in Louisiana? New Orleans? Too far (5.5 hours drive from Houston). Then? Lake Charles. A small city that is 25 miles from the border.
So how did I end up reviewing a place in Lake Charles? Well, I had to go to a site that is about an hour south of Lake Charles. So on the way there, I decided to stop for lunch. When I looked up where to eat, there were only two halal options: Raja's, and Royal Tandoor. I chose Raja's because they had a better rating on Google Reviews. After enduring the drive from Houston, I decided to stop before heading to the site.




Let The Experience Begin!
The restaurant is located about 5 minutes from McNeese State University. The inside was a bit dark, and they were playing the Willow Cricket channel as well as the local TV channels. Without hesitation, I went for the buffet.



Let's Eat!
Interestingly, all the meat items at the buffet were all chicken, and not a single goat dish. From the buffet, I got chicken biryani, green chicken (murgh hara masala), chicken korma, butter chicken, and tandoori chicken. They give you a free basket of naan to go with the buffet. To drink, I just got water. I paid a total of $13.57 (tax included). Is it me? Or is it that Indian/Pakistani buffets have become increasingly expensive?


Menu: https://www.facebook.com/pg/therajasgrill/menu/?ref=page_internal
This spot has the usual Indian affair such as curries, grilled meats, rice dishes, and vegetarian dishes. They also have some Mediterranean items such as hummus, tabbouli, and baba ghanoush, NY style platters, and fusion burgers. An interesting menu for an Indian place. The buffet is only for lunch every day it is open.

The meat items from the buffet





The Verdict:
While it wasn't the best buffet overall, it was a solid spot and it certainly beats out some of the buffets I've had in Houston. The main miss was the biryani. It was really mild for my liking. I couldn't taste the true flavor of it. I really liked the green chicken, tikka, naan (which I didn't picture) and korma. The butter chicken could use some improvement though.
The service was normal. No problems there.



Conclusion:
Raja's is a solid spot to check out some halal Indian food in town. If I come back to Lake Charles, I'll try the other place and them compare them. But for now, do check this place out if you're in Lake Charles. I hope that the biryani would improve and there would be more halal options in Lake Charles soon.


Grading:
Food: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Total: 15.5/20 = 77.5% (C)
Pricing: $$ out of $$$$



Restaurant Information:
Raja's Curry Kitchen and Grill
Address: 3821 Ryan Street, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Phone: (337) 476-2777
Website: none
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/therajasgrill/
Timings: Mon-Sat: 11 AM - 9 PM; Sun: 12 PM - 9 PM;
Caters: Yes
Delivery also available

Feel free to comment below, send me a message on Facebook, or email me!

Cheers!
Zain Mohammed

No comments:

Post a Comment